Chapter 28 - I Can't Lose You

Comenzar desde el principio

I begin to panic, realizing that I might not have a choice but to let her go. But how do you let go of the reason you wake up every morning? The reason you try to be a better man? It's impossible.

I decide to call Adrian. He might be the only other person I know to understand this situation. When he was faced with the decision to move away, he did everything in his power to get Sofia to go with him and stay together. I could really use his advice. But then I remember I lost my phone to my ire and curse for being so rash all the time.

That's when I decide I need to get home. I can call him from my laptop. Thankfully my car has a built-in GPS so I'm able to navigate my way back. Otherwise I would have been driving around in circles till morning.

Almost an hour later, I arrive back home feeling completely wrecked. As I walk through the dark corridors, I'm already thinking about how this house is going to feel so empty again once she leaves and how much I'm going to hate it.

I get to my bedroom and strip, wanting to put this day behind me. But the truth is, tomorrow is going to be the same. I'll still wake up with the knowledge that Olivia is going to be leaving me, just like everybody else has.

I head to my desk to get my laptop, and stop short when I see her dark hair against the pillow of my bed.

How is this possible?

I pull back the covers, thinking I must be imagining this, but even in my mind I know I could never create the stunning picture I'm looking at. She's sleeping on my side of the bed, in one of my t-shirts, cuddled up against my pillow.

Just the fact that she's here is crazy in itself, not only because of the way we left things, but even more so because it's a Thursday night and she's tutoring tomorrow early in the morning. I wonder how long she's been here, and I'm so grateful to have given her a key after the last time she came over and Leo had to let her in. I would have kicked myself if she would have had to wait outside for me.

I slip into bed next to her, pulling her warm body against me even though I know I don't deserve it. I kiss her temple, her neck, her shoulder. "I'm so sorry, Olivia. I love you so much."

I feel her come alive with my touch, and her incredible eyes flash open at me. Even in the dark I can see them shining like they do.

"I can't lose you," I say, voicing my biggest fear. It's what I should have told her all along.

"You won't," she replies. She smiles at me as she traces a cross over my heart with her finger.

I brush her hair back, amazed at the simplicity of her answer. I trace a cross over hers, promising the same thing in return.

She snuggles into my chest, and all of a sudden, everything seems right with the world again. I still don't know how we're going to work this out, but just the fact that we're in this together and she's here with me makes it all right again.

She hitches her leg between mine, causing her t-shirt to rise up and her panties to come into view. I know we should probably be going to sleep since it's late on a weekday, but it's the last thing I want to do when I'm with her like this. Time might be slipping away from us, and I can't waste another second of it.

I feel her lips on my chest, giving me a gentle kiss, and it's all it takes for my body to react. I'm instantly turned on. This is what she does to me.

I trace my hand over the curvature of her hip, grabbing her leg underneath her knee and rolling her on top of me. She sits up on my lap and lets out the sweetest sigh when she finds me hard beneath her.

"Ah, Nico," she says, biting her lip. I love when she's on top of me because I get to see each and every one of her expressions in their entirety.

I sit up with her, capturing those delicious lips as I bring her closer to me. But she doesn't seem close enough, even as her tongue swirls with mine and her hips rock into me.