2 - Typical Shelly

The power hits her square in the chest and blows her heavy stone-like body at the opposite wall causing cracks to appear. I gape in surprise at the sheer force of it. Knowing how strong my power is, how much more powerful it can be if I know how to control it, both excites and scares the hell out of me.

Shaking out of my stupor, I quickly scramble to get up and dash out of the room, leaving behind the now ruined office and an unconscious principal - don't know how long before she is up and behind me. I run and skid through the smooth, empty hallways; the lectures are still going on. I keep looking behind me every 2 seconds to check if the hag is following me. She has scared the shit out of me.

Out of breath, I burst into the restroom, trying to calm my heart which is currently beating like a sledgehammer. That reminds me of the song 'Sledgehammer' sung by my favourite band 'Fifth Harmony' and I laugh like a psycho at the difference of the reason behind the beating of the heart- mine is beating wildly out of fear and song's is the opposite. Maybe the events which took place today has screwed with my brain. Trying to keep my tears at bay, I text the only person to whom I can tell about this, my best friend.

Shelly enters the restroom and opens her mouth to say something- probably ask what happened- but one look at my tears and she shuts up. I wipe my tears and do the only thing I do to hide my emotions - sarcasm. "You came very early", I quip. She looks at me and shakes her head as if to say ' that doesn't work on me' and I know she is right. "I am only 5 minutes late and was held behind by Mr Brown, our maths teacher for help." Typical of him, always asking students for help. After giving me a couple minutes to recover, she gives me a look which says 'Gonna tell me what happened?' We can communicate just by sharing glances. That's how deep our friendship is.

I fill her in on everything that happened, not sparing even a minute detail. She listens without interrupting and has a look of horror mixed with awe when I come to the magic fight. When I finish, I feel much better and wait for her to speak. She fidgets with an auburn curl and I give her time to digest it.

"That was some crazy, dangerous and don't mind but awesome stuff you went through." Awesome! I almost died and she thinks it was awesome! I glare at her and she glances at me with an 'I was just kidding' look.

"It's not funny", I say sullenly.

She ignores that and demands me to show her my lightning power. "It's dangerous", I say adamantly.

"Just a spark, Lea," she pleads with me and looks at me with puppy dog eyes (and Lea is the name I prefer, not a fragile flower).

I can't tell no to her. "Okay" I give in. "But I am not sure if I can bring it again. As I said, it only cane due to my high emotions." She nods her head, her hazel eyes twinkling.

I close my eyes and concentrate, searching for even a flicker of power in my body. The recent use of my power makes me feel connected to it and easier to search. When I reach deep to the core, I find a source of vibrant blue power- lightning, and another source with crystal clear liquid- water. I try to gather a small amount of the swirling lightning and concentrate it to my hands. It is tough and may take some time, but I try calling it to me passing it through my veins and to my hands. I pray it works for Shelly.

When I hear Shelly gasp and whisper "wow", I open my eyes to see her awe-struck face staring at the vibrant sparks in my hands. They are small enough to not be harmful. My hands are glowing a cobalt blue as the sparks dance. Even I can't deny- they are beautiful. I have never called my powers intentionally because I was afraid of it. It was something which no one else seemed to have and I didn't want to be a freak in front of everyone. But Shelly is different. She seems to accept me; in fact, she seems excited. Typical Shelly, I muse. Before today, my power would many a times burst out unexpectedly when my emotions would be running wild. But it would only be a spark or spurt of water, not a full on lightning. I wonder who else has this kind of power. Or am I the only one? Did my parents also have this power and they didn't tell me? I miss them.

My parents died when I was only 4. I don't remember their faces from my memory of them- only from the photos of them. I only remember my mother's sweet, singing voice and my father's deep, rumbling laughter. I only have my mother's sapphire ring, our family heirloom which was passed down for generations.

"Lea! Your eyes are glowing." Shelly exclaims.