07: Flow Like A River

Pre-Word

Every day,  I sit by a brook, a small stream. My feet dangle in the calm water, swinging back and forth. I don't bring my phone, or any food, or anything. Just my imagination and my thoughts. I come here to think a lot. It helps to calm me down, and be able to sort out my feelings. People don't really tend to come by my stream, although I have seen one person here every day for the last couple of weeks. Always sitting a few feet away from me, and always skippings stones- just like I do. I always sit down a ways away from him. He always waves to me, and then sifts a hand through his green hair and looks back at his hands. Its like a tradition- but we've never spoken.

*Your POV*

It's good to be back at my stream. I missed a day yesterday and it felt like an eternity before the next day rolled around. I'm lying down on fallen leaves- autumn has provided me with a blanket of leaves. I sit up, take a still red leaf,  and float it down the river before I hear his footsteps approach,  crunching leaves as he runs. I just know who it is without having to turn my head or even say anything.

I suddenly feel his arms around me,  squeezing tightly. Surprised, I turn around to face my silent green haired friend with tears streaming down his face.

"You're back!" He whispered, letting go of me and sitting down. He removed his shoes and socks, and plunged his feet into the stream next to mine.

"I'm...  Back?" I asked,  still confused. Confused and a little dazed at the sound of his voice.

"You didn't come yesterday. I waited for you to come but you didn't." He turned to me, looking upset, a trail of tears still streaming from his face.

"Oh... I'm sorry I didn't come. I had gone to a performance... I didn't know our silent visits meant so much to you." I said,  astonished.  This man had sat here every day near to me for 5 weeks, never saying a word. Yet, he waited... For me?

"They mean everything to me. You are a complete stranger,  and yet the punctuality of our visits...  Seeing you every day at 4 in the afternoon... I depend on the accuracy. Not seeing you yesterday was torture." He said,  laughing a little.  I joined in his laughter,  saying,

"Well, fret not, complete stanger. I am here to relieve you of your torture." His laugh rang out amongst the trees,  and he asked me,

"What's your name? And what were you performing?"

"My name's (Y/N), and I went to sing at a ceremony."

"Sing a song." He requested. "The woods were silent without you yesterday. Please, fill that silence with your voice." I looked at him,  wondering why we had never spoken before. I took a deep breath,  closed my eyes, and began to sing.

"I've seen the world, done it all, had my cake now... " I let the words flow out if me, smooth and calm as the river at our feet. When I finished singing, we sat listened to my voice echo through the trees, then fade to customary silence.

"Wow." Was all he said.

"What did you th-" He cut me off,  turning to me suddenly and kissing me. I don't know anything about him,  but I have a feeling that will soon change.

"I though it was enchanting." He said, smiling.

"I never caught your name..." I commented.

"Jack." He said, still smiling. "Hey, will you be here tomorrow?"

"You know I will be, Jack. You already know."

A/N- Song: Young and Beautiful by Lana Del Ray