Chapter 1, Baby, It's Cold Outside, Part 1

Remember Catrina Turner, the security guard in Caught on Camera, Book 1, Hollywood in Muskoka series, and her monster dog Titan? This is the story of Catrina's difficult path to healing and love. It takes place in January-the coldest winter month in Muskoka, Ontario. Canada. I hope this story warms up your cold nights too!

The edited, polished version of Seduced by the Screenwriter, complete with a playlist that mirrors the characters' emotional journeys, was published on Amazon in November 2017.

This Wattpad version is a DRAFT. This draft and the published version are both protected by copyright.

Subscribe at MadelleMorgan.com for news of deals, giveaways, and blog posts about these Hollywood in Muskoka stories. - Madelle

***

Seduced by the Screenwriter

Hollywood in Muskoka series, Book 2

©Madelle Morgan 2017

All Rights Reserved

***

Chapter 1

Baby, It's Cold Outside

A knee-deep layer of fresh snow blocked the long laneway to the five-thousand-square-foot summer home owned by Catrina's most important client, Jenna Jordan, Hollywood movie star.

"It's our lucky day! The plow hasn't been by yet. I'll need the snowshoes, Titan," Catrina informed her German shepherd, who wagged his tail at the thrum of pleasure in her voice. She reached into the cargo area of her beat-up SUV to fish out new aluminum frames.

The awkward foot extensions firmly attached, her down parka zipped, Catrina adopted a wide stance and swung her legs forward, each step a delight as the snowshoe sank a couple of inches into powder. Titan bounded ahead to sniff rabbit and deer tracks. Pine and spruce branches sagged with sparkling snow.

The crisp, sunny early January day in pristine forest, the opportunity to fill her lungs with pure air-it all validated the decision to quit her job as a Toronto Police constable in order to provide security services to millionaire owners of exclusive waterfront properties on Lake Muskoka-Canada's summer playground for the fabulously rich and famous.

No boss. No shifts. No traffic!

Her fledgling stress-free business amounted to a paid vacation year round. So far she had security contracts with ten wealthy waterfront home owners and enough income to pay the bills. Her big break came the previous summer when Jenna signed on as a client after firing the security guard who'd helped himself to several bottles in the wine cellar and let mice roam the interior.

A whiff of wood smoke stopped her short. Jenna's residence was supposed to be vacant. Her forty-something client never visited between September and June. Now on high alert, Catrina punched rapidly through the snow another quarter mile to a curve that provided a sight line to the main house.

A tendril of smoke indeed curled from the chimney. A faint, rhythmic thwack, thwack disrupted the tranquility of the isolated property. She sucked frigid air deep into a tight chest. Titan, sensing the tension in his mistress, growled deep in his throat.

"Shhh," she commanded. "Heel." She silently advanced around the bend, pulled off a thermal insulated glove to reach inside her goose-down parka, and retrieved the small set of binoculars in an inside pocket. Titan sniffed the air, his nose and ears alerted toward the buildings. His extraordinary sense of smell had picked up something new, something that did not belong.