Chapter Twenty-Six

•°Way to Wonderland•°

THE LITTLE GIRL needed to reach the road to the city. She really needed to get out of that mansion and live together with her mother's friends: Taylor and Jeremy, and tell them what secrets her parents had.

The tears continued to fall;her face was red and her eyes felt heavy as she cried. She really didn't expect that her mom could hit her like that, as if she was choosing her father over her. She really didn't understand why her mother could accept a murderer in the family, and she couldn't get the fact that she was a product of a killer clown. All her life, she had dreamed of having a father. A father who was normal and harmless;not someone like him who has a hobby of killing!

"I wish I didn't meet him," she sobbed to herself as she wrapped her small limbs around her body. "Betty I wish you were here."

Not knowing what thing was surely lurking in the shadows, Sky didn't stop walking. Those small feet helped to her nowhere direction, and she had no care as long as she could be far away. She glanced behind her, and the bright lights of the house was no longer in sight.

Holding her tummy, she groaned as a slight prick in it approached. Her insides reacted, demanding of something to feed. She looked around the dusk woods and walked even further until she spotted bushes sitting on the damp forest floor. Sky narrowed her eyes while tempting to touch its small fruits that seemed to be wild berries.

Something came across her mind. Could it be like the ones her mother told her? Could she eat them?

"Well, maybe I can give it a try," she mumbled when she reaped one and devour it. The pulpy pericarp crept onto her tongue and it gave savory. "Mhm, delicious."

Sky did that 'till her stomach would be filled up even through those small contents of the shrubs. Although she yearned for something warm and heavy in the belly, she had no time to go back. Still convinced, the girl resumed treading the path even though her eyesight was aching due to the darkness. There were creepy things that ran in her mind—and she admitted to herself that they somehow made her feet tremble but she managed to think of wonderful things.

"Forest is not that bad at all. . ." she whispered, gazing upon the pale moonlight who was sneaking at her from the gaps of the tree's leaves. "I'll stay here in the middle so that the light can shine on me and on my way. . ."

A small smile flashed across her chilled face as she sighed, thinking every stories in her book always had that setting. At first, they would walk in the core of the strange and dark forest and then something magical would gonna happen. Maybe there'd be a shining door that appeared from nowhere, leading to the enchanted world. Sky suddenly felt like Alice. Wandering the area she wasn't familiar of, meet stranger people who might be turned out to her friends. . . Yes. Just like Alice, she would still be safe despite of roaming in the unknown area.

Then there it was. A soft noise coming to her side invaded her ears. Eyes were widening with her rapid breathings.

"Relax. . ." she cooed to herself. "It may be the white r—rabbit. . ."

She suddenly felt lunatic. Those solace pictures she had been seeing didn't work for what she sensed. Her skin crawled up, and who would notice her disappearance if a wild bear gobbled on her.

Just when she was about to scream, in the pitch-black spot, a figure of a person quickly showed up, waving a hand oddly and creepy to see.

The girl swallowed, with her feet barely stepping backward.

"W—Who are you?" she asked with a shaky voice. "Why are you there. . . in the dark? A—Are we neighbors?"

The mysterious guy stepped toward her, still waving a hand that made her every muscles in the feet weak;then she thought of her father to be there.