Chapter Twenty-Four

°Starting over again•°

EVERYONE DREAMED of having anyone else.

The mansion was huge, its every corners had been emblazed with intense lights and it was true that the place was surrounded by people she used to treat as family as well. The only difference, they were culprits.

Something in her mind, an aesthetic image had been started to form. When everyone had birthdays, they could celebrate it on either sides of the manor house. When holidays arrived, they could decorate the whole place and let it sparkled in the depth of the forestland—as if darkness had no rights to invade them.

She could imagine laughter springing in their home—that if you were in bliss, that would be possible.

She scooted on the dinette stool with arms resting on the counter.

As days gone by, it was getting clearer to her. Joker's mansion was empty. Empty in different ways. Though she wanted to treat it as a home, she couldn't feel the spirit.

She was familiar to that kind of state. A kind of state she ever promised herself she wouldn't feel anymore when she had her own family. So she needed first step. Hayley was now convinced. She needed to grow. She needed change.

On that day, the boys weren't around as well as Joker. They probably went to the city to send Sky's new teacher or to where for the heaven sake their feet demanded them to go to after they left the old man probably to his family. She didn't have much idea. She never asked.

Taking her mug of coffee, Hayley went upstairs. Maybe she could do something to at least lessen her worries and concerns. So she had gone to Sky's room and when she opened the door, she saw her on the carpet with her tea-set with Betty sitting on the other side.

She smiled. "Sweetheart?"

"Yeah?" She turned her head and met her mother's gaze.

"Um, I know it's been a while, but mommy has been sad, actually. Might want a picnic outside with d—daddy? This will be your first time to eat with him outdoors you know. . ."

The girl peeled off her gaze and she continued pouring an imaginary tea in Betty's cup. "No thanks."

"But s—sweety. . ."

"That's no fun."

Hayley gnawed the skin in her mouth. "Sky, are you still mad at him?"

"He's a murderer, mommy."

"He's your father."

"I want to go home. To go home to uncle Taylor and Jeremey. These people are no good to me, to us. They're bad citizens."

"You want to be with him so bad and now you're talking like that? Sweety, I never taught you to be rude towards your father."

But the kid didn't answer.

Heaving out a harsh breath, she chided, "This has to stop, young lady. You go down later at the dining area to join your father. Or else, I'll burn your books and all."

"Mommy—"

She didn't hear her whine as she quickly shut the door. Now, she was realizing her daughter really had inherited her father's character especially in that kind of situation. Hayley couldn't blame her; it was practically a major foul Joker had ever made in his entire life. She should understand that, but to obtain Sky's disrespect towards him, she must not tolerate.

Hayley suddenly felt ill. Tomorrow was her daughter's birthday, and she thought it would be a very happy day for her since Joker's with them. Though Sky was still livid at her dad, that day was the perfect timing for them to start all over. They'd used to celebrate without him, but an idea was circulating in her head. Maybe they could plan a small party?