Chapter Twenty

Warning! Contains dark themes

°Unmask•°

Dedicated to: CarolinaIsAPenguin

JOKER LAID Sky on her bed and took Betty for her to hug. He held the blanket and put it on her chest,then he caressed her cheek as he left flicks onto the child's forehead.

"Sleep now, pumpkin. Goodnight," Joker said.

"But you're forgetting something," she replied when she took glance to her mother who's standing under the frame of the door, with shoulder propping against it. "Right, mom?"

Frowning a little, Joker gazed at Hayley.

She cleared her throat. "Read her bed time story. It's your turn now. You forget it?"

"Oh." He beamed at his child then he cupped her face. "Oh sure, darling. But daddy has something to check first. Give me some minute."

"What is it? Can I come with you?"

"No, you stay here," he said. "I'll come back."

Hayley walked towards her daughter and kissed her on the nose. "Goodnight, sweetheart."

"Are you happy, mommy?" she mumbled. "Daddy's so sweet."

She licked her lips as she tried to smile."Of course."

"Goodnight, Hayley," Joker slipped in as he held her on her shoulder blade. The electrifying sensation ran up her as she sensed his warm palm. Flinching, she looked at him and she nodded.

They both left Sky's room and Joker blocked her through his arm. "Can I have one more minute with you?"

"For?"

"I want to clarify things," he said, "about what you said. . . Do you mean it? Do you still love me?"

Hayley sighed. "You know what we should do when she's around."

It seemed like Joker's head hit something. The loud beating of his heart made him immobile, and the bile in his throat became a boulder.

". . . well," he continued, "I was hoping—"

"Stop hoping, Joker. It won't happen anymore," Hayley empasized, and she smirked. "Everything in this house is a lie. So be it."

"Is that what you hold on to?"

Interposing her shoulders, she replied,"Shit happens."

Joker was left alone in the middle of the hallway, and the glowing light from the moon casted towards him exactly as he stared at her, hearing the weight on her feet as she made step. Once upon a time, she was so sweet. But maybe,hatred could really make a person change.

Clenching his jaw, he shook his head and made his way out. He needed to put his personal emotion aside for there was something that would gonna happen. He was thirsty of it. He needed it.

Giggling, Joker drifted his pathway to his judgement room; the red room.

* * *

Her blinds pulled open with a shot of bleariness to her sight. She saw people gathering around, and when her visions got clearer, her breathings shut off.

"Where am I?" she asked to herself as she looked around and saw a kid sobbing in a chair with a roped tied around his body.

She narrowed her eyes only to figure out who the kid was.