Hide in Plain Sight

A few hours later, I found myself walking down the path to the village. I had gotten myself caught as X and I had planned. I thought about our plan, wondering if it would work.

The girl the old builders had assigned to take to the village, Tessa, waved her hand in front of my face.

"Hellooooooooooo? Ash, you in there?" She asked. She had wavy black hair had flew over her shoulders and sparkling green eyes.

"I'm here. I'm just thinking about what I got myself into." I replied.

"Yeah, I don't agree with my adopted parents wa-"

"Wait, back up. The Old Builders are your parents?" I stared at her. She looked at the ground.

"Adoptive. I lost my real family." She looked on the edge of tears. I wanted to comfort her but I had met her ten minutes ago.

She wiped her tears and knocked on the gate. It opened, and she looked back at me.

"You know Ash?" I hope you beat them. Just to rub it in their faces."

"You seem to hate them," I replied. She shrugged and ran a hand through her hair.

"Only Otto cares about me. Hadrian and Mevia would let me jump off a cliff.  And Harper left me with them." She wiped a tear and turned away.

I watched her go, then entered the village.