Chapter Six

The only sound in the room for a while was the crackling of the flames in the fireplace.

"What spell did you use?" Dumbledore asked, his tone heavy.

"Absque amore..." Her voice trailed off.

Dumbledore sighed heavily. "That's dark magic," said he. "Banned dark magic."

"I was desperate," she said. "I wanted... I did not want to him to have the grief that I was going through. I did not want him to suffer as I was suffering."

Dumbledore looked at her with compassion in his gaze. "Then he is truly beyond redemption. He is beyond any help."

"No!" Her voice was strong now. "He is not! The spell... The spell I used can be broken!"

"How?" Asked Harry. "How can a dark spell that prevents one from feeling love be broken?"

"He has to learn to love," she whispered. "Love something... A person, an animal, anything. That's all it takes to break that spell."

"And what your spell ensures is that he does not love anything." Said Dumbledore.

"He has to learn!" She said desperately.

"How can one learn to love?" Asked Harry, shaking his head. Merope had really screwed up her son's life. It was no wonder she was now here, begging for their help. And as much as Harry would have liked to help her, he could not see how. "Love is not something to be learned, is it? It has to happen."

"That's how it is for those like you," she whispered. "But for Tom, it has to be learned. That is the only way to save him from the spell."

"So, what do you expect us to do? Brew him a love potion?" The words came out before Harry could help.

Merope winced. Harry could have kicked himself for his insensitivity,  but he was feeling angry. That a mother-any mother-would do such a thing to her own child was beyond his comprehension. And she had used banned dark magic to do it. She had to have known it was wrong! Harry dropped his eyes before the reproachful look in Dumbledore's eyes.

"Potions do not produce love," Merope whispered, "As I discovered, to my cost. No, for the spell to be broken, the love has to be real."

"What do you want us to do? Go back to the past and get Tom a pet?" Dumbledore's tone held a hint of asperity.

"That won't work," she muttered. "You taught him once. Teach him to make friends... To trust... To love... Get inside the barriers he's erected around himself..."

"That's not an easy task," said Dumbledore evenly. "Tom was not easy to know or like, even at eleven."

"You have to try..." Merope said. "I cannot be here for long. I was given only a week to meet and convince you. I have to go back. But I cannot have peace unless you agree!"

"Mrs. Riddle," said Dumbledore. "I am able to make allowances for your guilt over what you did, but you must know that what you suggest is impossible."

"Send someone if you cannot go!" Merope cried. "You are dying! This is a chance for you to save not just Tom, but the entire wizarding world!"

"Even my wish to save the wizarding world would not allow me to meddle with time. I'm sorry."

Merope slumped down. And vanished.

"She never did tell us where the artefact was hidden," said Harry.

"It's for the best," said Dumbledore. "We never know what effects meddling with time might bring."