Chapter Four

Dobby found Dumbledore soon and the Headmaster hurried back to the castle as soon as Dobby conveyed Harry's message. Harry was summoned to the Headmaster's office as soon as classes were over. Dumbledore listened to Harry's story without interrupting. There was silence for a few moments once Harry finished. Dumbledore steepled his fingers and looked at Harry over the rim of his glasses. Then he sighed.

"This is quite unexpected, Harry,"

Harry grimaced. "Yes, sir. But do you know what she wants? I mean, she doesn't really expect us to help her, does she?"

"We cannot know what she really wants till I've talked to her." Dumbledore paused. "We don't even know if this is the shade of Merope Riddle or some minion of Voldemort."

"He," Harry cleared his throat. "He's not making me see this, is he?"

"I understand your worry," said Dumbledore. "And I promise you that this is not a hallucination. Whatever you saw, it was real. But whether it is who it appears to be is what we have to find out."

"If it is her," Harry muttered, "How is it that she appeared only now? Where was she all this time?"

"These are questions which even she might not be able to answer, Harry."

Harry nodded. "What do we do now?"

"Let us hope she makes an appearance tonight. I shall come to the Gryffindor common room tonight after all the students are gone to bed. If she makes an appearance, I will be able to talk to her. And to determine whether she is a malignant or benign entity."

"Sir?" Harry asked. "Can I also be there?"

"I think you should be there. This concerns you more closely than anyone else."

Harry smiled. He felt relieved.

"And now," Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "I'm sure you are too eager to get back to Gryffindor Tower so you can recount all that happened to Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley. Off you go."

Harry grinned as he rose. "Bye, professor."

Ron and Hermione were relieved that Dumbledore would be there to face the unknown spectre.

"We would need to ensure all the others are in bed before Dumbledore comes," said Hermione, worried.

"Relax, Hermione," groaned Ron. "He's not likely to come till they are all in bed. And it is not likely that the ghost of Merope or whoever it is will make an appearance till the common room is deserted."

A thought struck Harry. "But that need not be. She appeared yesterday even though I was there."

"Let's hope she won't appear before a roomful of people," said Hermione dubiously. "But how will Harry know when she will appear?"

"I will stay in the common room under my cloak," declared Harry. "And will remove it once everyone is in bed."

"I have a bad feeling about this whole thing," muttered Ron. "You be careful, mate."

"Dumbledore will be there, Ron," said Hermione. "Harry will be safe with him."

Harry nodded in agreement. He would be safe enough with Dumbledore.