Epilogue

It's been about a year since Chelsea's death. I can't believe all the things that have happened. First off, Carol and I are inseparable. Ever since Chelsea's funeral we've spent just about ever day together, although we still live in separate houses. Carol's never seen mine. I mostly meet her at her house. That all changes tonight. It's New Year's eve, and I invited her over to have dinner.

  I lay out all the ingredients in front of me, a pork roast, a sack of potatoes, sauerkraut, a head of broccoli, a six pack of beer, frozen corn, and dinner rolls. I start out with the roast. I grab a roaster pan and drop the pork roast inside. I then open up the sauerkraut. I put all of it around the roast. It's now time for the special ingredient, beer. The beer keeps the roast moist and gives it a good flavor.
   After the roast is in the oven I work on peeling the potatoes. I'm almost done pealing the second one, when I feel something nudge me. I look down and see that it's Abigail. She whimpers.
  "I'm sorry Abigail, but I can't play right now. I'm preparing dinner for Carol and me."
  Abigail gives out a little bark. Carol just loves her. She said that Abigail is the most friendly dog she's meet.
   I finish peeling the potatoes and put them on the stove. They sizzle in the pot. I quickly prepare the broccoli, and put them on the stove. All that's left to do is microwave the corn.

  When the table is set beautifully and all the food is done, I go into my room to get ready. I rifle through my closet for something nice I wear. I settle on a white-collared shirt and some blue jeans. Once I'm done changing, I head over to my dresser to do my hair. I comb it slightly back, and put a small amount of gel in it. I then, give myself a squirt of Kelvin Klein colon. I'm already to go. I look around my room. There are still pictures of Abigail everywhere. I've been so busy this year that I forgot to take them down. I go into my closest and pull out an empty shoe box. I quickly take down all the pictures, and carefully place them in the box. I then go over to my dresser and pick up the newspaper article, laying it in with the pictures. I should burn the box, but I won't. I put it carefully back in my closet. I've learned that you shouldn't get rid of the past, because the past is what makes you who you are.

  Abigail, starts barking fiercely. I know she's barking because Carol is here. I look at myself one more time in the mirror before going out to open the door. I look perfect. I smile as I open the door. Carol looks amazing in her dark blue dress that compliments her bluish-gray eyes.
   "Carol, you look amazing. Welcome to my home."
  She smiles, and takes my hand. "Mike, you have a lovely home. Something smells amazing."
"I made us a pork roast."
"That's my favorite thing to eat on New year's eve."
  "May I take your coat?"
Carol shrugs out of her blue coat. I take it and hang it up in the closet. When I come back, Carol is pulling something out of her purse.
  "What do you have in there?"
"Oh, I brought us some red wine."
  "One thing I do not have at my house."
I hold out my hand. "Shall we."
Carol takes my hand and we head into the kitchen. I pull out the chair for her. She takes a seat, and I push her in. I go across from her and take my seat. I then serve both of us a nice serving of pork and sauerkraut, mash potatoes, broccoli, and corn with a dinner roll on the side. Carol then pours us both a glass of sweet red wine.
   "What shall we toast to?" I ask.
  "I think we should toast to being together for almost a year."
  "I agree, but I think we should add in something else. Chelsea Thomas is the reason we're together."
  Carol raises her glass. I raise mine.
"To Chelsea, for bringing us both together."
  Carol clings her glass against mine. We stare at each other for a long moment before we break our gaze.
  "Carol, I want you to taste the first bite of pork."
Carol, picks up her fork and slowly takes a bite of the pork. Her eyes go wide and her mouth waters like she wants more.
"Oh my gosh, this is amazing! Where did you learn to cook like this?"
  "My father." I frown. "We haven't really talked in over twenty-five years."
  "Why?" Carol asks.
"He thought that I was foolish for proposing to Abigail at the age of seventeen. When he found out I was there when Abigail was murdered, he never really talked to me again. The following fall I turned eighteen and moved out to go to college."
  "Mike, one of these days we're going to see your father so the two of you can make up."
  "I would like that very much. I think he would really like you."
  Carol smiles. "If your dad is like you then I'm sure I'm going to love him."
  We both start eating our dinner. Neither one of us talking. I have to break the silence.
  "You know, my dad is like my old self. My dad fixes cars for a living. I'm not sure if he still does. I think he's around sixty-five. He taught me how to build my own motorcycle."
  "You used to be a bad boy?"
"I guess that's the term for it. I gave up my bad boy image when Abigail died. I wanted to make a difference in the world. That's why I sent out to be a teacher."
  "Wow, I can't believe you didn't tell me this."
"I guess I'm a little ashamed of my past."
   Carol puts her hand on top of mine. "Don't be ashamed of your past. It is what makes you yourself."
"I've found myself saying that a lot lately."
  Carol smiles. "We are kindred spirits. I'm glad to have found someone like me."
I lean down to kiss her. She kisses me back. Neither one of us wants to let go. I'm the jerk who lets go. One of us   has to,or we would both die from lack of oxygen.
  "I could kiss you all night if we had an unlimited amount of oxygen."
Carol giggles. "Me too."

  After dinner I put both our plates on the floor. I thought that it would be nice to give Abigail a New Year's Eve snack. She goes to town.
  "What are we going to do now?"
"Well, on our last date you wanted to go dancing, but we ran out of time."
  I go over to my boom box and turn it on. Christmas music blares from it.
  "Carol King, may I have this dance?"
  Carol grabs my hand. "Yes, you may."

We end up dancing to five songs. Each song gets more and more intense. We keep looking in each others eyes. In one of the songs she tells me that I dance like Mc Jagger. Who ever the heck that is. I figured  that he is a pretty good dancer, so I took it as I compliment. Being with Carol is such a blast. That is why at midnight I'm going to propose to her.

  It's almost midnight. Carol and I are sitting in the living room watching Tv.  Ryan Seacrest has just started the sixty seconds to countdown.
"Mike, what do you wish for in the new year?"
  This is the perfect timing. I drop down to one knee and pull the ring out of my pocket. I open the box. Carol gasps.
"Carol King, in the new year I wish for you to marry me."
  "Yes, yes, yes. I will marrie you!"
Our lips lock, and I tune everything out. I don't even hear when Ryan Seacrest shouts,"Happy New Year!" All I care about is being with Carol forever.

  The story is finally over. I would like to thank EnderCat101. You were the one that inspired me to write. Cookie and Mrs. Sauers, you read my book from the very beginning. I would also like to thank Heather Jones, Pika Wolf, and IceCanine, for leaving comments. I hope all of you guys like the end of the chapter.