Chapter 3

Monday morning came around rather quickly. I was getting ready for my first day at Waterways elementary school. 
   "What a dumb name for a school." I spoke aloud to myself.
I decided on wearing something bright and cheery for my first day of school. I put on a purple sequined top, and a pair of purple caprice  to match. After I finished getting dressed, I headed dowstairs stairs for a quick breakfast of Frosted Flakes.

When I arrived in the kitchen my mom was sitting at the breakfast bar, newspaper in hand. I went to the pantry and pulled out a box of Frosted Flakes. I got a bowl, and one percent milk, and took my seat at the breakfast bar next to my mom. My mom looked up from her paper.
   "Chelsea, you ready for your first day of school?"
  I was more than ready to start school. After the dream I had the other night I couldn't wait to get out of the house.
    "Yeah,mom. I think I'm ready for a fresh start."
   "Honey, that's great!" My mom said, enthusiasm in her voice.
   I put my cereal bowl in the sink, glanced up at the clock, and headed up to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I had thirty minutes before the bus came. I was looking into the mirror while brushing my teeth, when a figure appeared in the mirror. She looked to be about 17 years old. Her face looked familiar, almost a  younger version of my mom. She had my mom's curvey noise,and my mom's light blue eyes. The only way they deferred was that this girl had straight black hair, and my mom had blonde curly hair. The girl's face turned to anger, blotches of deep red blood, appeared on her face. Her dead hands stretched out of the mirror, as if to grab me.
   You didn't have to tell me twice. I bolted out of the bathroom at the speed of light. I ran down the stairs and  into the kitchen. My mom looked up from her paper.
"Girl in the bathroom! Girl in the bathroom!" I shrieked.
  "Chelsea, I guarantee you that there is no girl  in the bathroom. If it will make you feel better all go check."
I nodded. My mom started up the stairs, looking annoyed. My mom checked the whole bathroom.
" There is no girl in the bathroom." My mother informed me. " Now Chelsea, go up to the bus stop and wait for the bus!"
  My mother was clearly frustrated. I darted out the door, slamming the door behind me.

  I was walking up to the bus stop, when a boy about my age approached me. He had dark brown curly hair, hazel brown eyes, and wore blue plastic framed glasses. He was cute in a nerdy kind of way.
  " Hey, I saw that you just moved here and I was wondering if you knew how to get to the bus stop?"
  "I would like for you take me there. I'm Chelsea by the way"
  "Tim. Nice to meet you."
We walked to the bus stop together. My body was starting to relax.

When we got to the school I took  in my surroundings. The school was huge. It was tan bricked, with bright blue windows.Tim was standing right beside me.
" Chelsea, who is your homeroom teacher?"
    I pulled my schedule out of my backpack. I studied it for a minute and then said," I have Mr. Vander."

"I have Mr. Vander too." Tim replied.
    We walked up a flight of stairs, took a left down a long hallway, then took a right. We arrived at Mr. Vander's room. I looked around the classroom, it was a lot different than the one in New York. All my classmates were  staring at me. The kids at this school looked very different than the kids in New York. These kids had all different colored hair, green, blue, purple, bright red. Some of the girls were wearing dog, and cat collars. I felt like an outcast, my dirty blonde hair seemed boring. I  walked up to Mr. Vander's desk to introduce myself.
    "Mr. Vander, I'm Chelsea Thomas. I just  moved here from New York."
    Mr. Vander looked up from a stack of papers on his desk, and smiled at me.
  "It's nice to finally meet you. We've  all been really excited for a new student."
  I could tell I was going to like Mr. Vander. He had the bubbly personality, making a person feel welcomed. His light green eyes, studied me for a minute before he spoke again.
  " Chelsea, why don't you go up in front of the class to introduce yourself."
  I went up to to the front of the class. A nervous jolt went through my body.
  " As you all know, I moved here from New York."
I was thankful that Mr. Vander intervened.
   "Does anyone have any questions for miss Thomas?"
  A red headed girl with braids raised her hand.
"Yes Rebecca?" Mr. Vander said, calling on her.
" I was wondering, what was your life like back in New York?"
  " New York is nothing like Pennsylvania. New York is made up mostly of apartment buildings. Also, when I lived there I rode the subway to school. Today, was the first time I rode a school bus."
   "That's so cool." Rebecca replied.
    A boy with slicked back hair raised his hand. I pointed at him.
  "Is your house haunted?"
    I could feel my face go pale. Just the thought of my house brought back that horrid scene I witnessed this morning.
  "Hunter, don't be rude!" Mr. Vander scolded.
"Sorry Chelsea, I didn't mean to make you feel bad."
  "It's alright." I replied.

  About an hour later we all lined up single file and headed for music. At this school you had the choice of either being in general music or chorus. I chose to be in chorus. When we got to the music rooms we seperated into two lines, non chorus, and chorus. I always loved to sing.
    In Chorus I audition for my voice part. Mrs. Viola told me a was an alto. I was embarrassed. I was the only girl in the alto section. Mrs. Viola also handed me a folder with my music inside. I guess my voice  had matured faster than the other girls'.

   The rest of the school day flew by I couldn't believe I was getting on the bus to go home. I was looking for a seat, when I saw Tim wave at me back in the isle. I went over to where he was sitting and sat down next to him.
   "How was your first day at Waterways?" Tim asked me.
   "Pretty good." I replied
   "Sorry, about Hunter. He can be quite a handful."
   " I owe him the question he asked." I replied.
     "He just asked that question because that's the rumor that's been going around for years."
   Now I was really curious. What happened at my house all those years ago?Was it a murder? If it was why hadn't my mom told me about it?

My thoughts were interupted however, when the bus pulled up to my stop. Tim and I got off the bus together.
   "I'll walk you back to your house." Tim replied.
     "That would be great."
     When we got to my house, Tim was staring up at my room.
  I nudged him but he stood frozen in place. I looked up at the bay window where he was staring. I saw the girl that I saw in the mirror. I stood there horrified next to him. She was there for a minute and then disappeared.
Tim and I both snapped out of the trance at the same time.
  "I- I saw a dead girl in your room." Tim stuttered.
" Wait, you can see her too?" I said, looking confused.
" Y-e-s." Tim stuttered again.
  "Tim, I get if you don't want to hang out with me. The new girl  with the haunted house. Your reputation would be ruined forever."
  " I still want to be friends. In fact, I want to help you find out what happened in your house all those years ago."
I gave him a hug. "Your the best friend a new girl could ask for."
  Tim smiled. "Well, I have to go, but if you need anything, anything at all, you know where I am."
    I watched Tim go across the street to his small brown house. I was so relieved that someone actually believed me. I still  had to question what my grandparents said. I stopped and thought about it for a minute. Did my mom have a secret past? If so, what was she hiding?