chapter 5

Saturday came around rather quickly I couldn't wait to get out of the house, like usual. Tim told me to come around his house about 11 o clock. It was cool on Saturday, a heavy breeze came through my open bedroom window. I couldn't believe that it was 50 degrees in the middle of October. I quickly got dressed around 10 o'clock, brushed my teeth, threw my thick dirty blonde hair in a ponytail, and headed downstairs to get some breakfast.
As I walked into the kitchen the smell of Belgian waffles wafted through the air. Waffles were my favorite breakfast food in the world, especially from scratch. My dad was at the stove frying some bacon. I walked towards him. My dad didn't hear me coming he was too focused on frying the bacon. My dad took his breakfast very seriously.
"Dad, everything smells great. Is it almost ready?"
My dad turned around, clearly suprised.
"Chels, I didn't hear you coming. Breakfast will be ready in five minutes. Go set the the table."
I went over to the cabinet, pulled out four plates, and placed them on the table. I then went back to the cupboard and pulled out four glasses, placing them alongside the plates. The ovan timer went off, indicating breakfast was done.
"Chels, go get your sister. Tell her breakfast is ready."
I always hated waking up my sister. She was a heavy sleeper. If a tornado were to touch down right now she would sleep through the whole thing. I obeyed my father. My parents were still on me, ever since I saw that dead girl in the bathroom, little over a week ago. I didn't want them to get on me about something else. I went upstairs, and banged on Hannah's door. I could here blaring music through the door. Ever since we moved into the house Hannah's personality changed. It was like she was a totally different person. She used to always hang out with me, but now all she did was play her music dangerously loud, locked up in her room. It was like her personality was being drained out of her.
" Go away Chelsea. I want to be alone."
"But dad made breakfast."
"I'm not hungry!" Hannah snapped.
I had enough of this. I was tired of putting up with her crap. If she wanted to stay in her room all day it was fine by me.Who needed an older sister anyways? Not me. I would be better off being an only child.
As I made my way back downstairs I felt a lump rise in my throat. All of this, Hannah's personality, and my ability to see ghosts was due to moving into this house. As I entered the kitchen I put on a happy face. I didn't need my dad to worry about me too.
"Where's your sister?" My dad asked.
"She said she wasn't hungry. She wants to be left alone."
My dad looked annoyed. "We've been living in this house for over a week now and both of your personalities have drastically changed. You claim to see spirits, and your sister wants to spend all her time all alone. You kids act as if this house were cursed."
"Dad, the house is cursed. Grandma and grandpa never crossed over. I see them in my dreams. They warn me that the dead girl I saw in the mirror is getting stronger."
" What did this dead girl look like?
"She looked like a younger version of mom. The only way they differed
was that this girl had straight black hair."
My dad stood there horrified. His face turned as pale as a sheet of paper.
"T-that's I-impossible. She's been dead for 25 years. She can't come back. Her spirit should have crossed over to Heaven."
"Dad, who is she? How did she die?"
"I don't want to talk about it. It makes me sick the way she died."
I left it like that. I didn't want to push it any further. I didn't want my dad to snap at me. Well,at least now I knew how long ago she died. Also, I figured out that she was tied to my mother in some way.
My dad and I sat down to a quiet breakfast. I wolfed down my bacon and waffles, just so I could be excused. The silence in the room was making me feel uncomfortable. I grabbed Hannah's plate put some waffles with syrup, and two slices of bacon on it and hurried up the stairs. I knocked twice on Hannah's door.
"Go away Chelsea. I want to be left alone."
"Fine, but I just want you to know that I brought you up some breakfast."
Hannah didn't say anything. I turned on my heals and headed back downstairs. When I got down stairs I stopped back through the kitchen. My dad was at the head of the table.
"Dad, I'm going over to Tim's house now. Just thought that I would let you know."
"Okay, but be back at the house by nine o clock. Your mother's orders."
"Where is mom?" I asked.
" Your mother had to go to the office early this morning. She should be back by the time you get home."
"See you later." I said, as I headed out the door.
When I got to Tim's house I was thirty minutes late. I was nervous as I rang the doorbell.I heard a woman's footsteps approaching the door. I took a few steps back as the door opened. A short woman, a few inches taller than me stood in the doorway. She gave me a cheerful smile. "You must be Chelsea, Tim's friend. I'm Teresa, Tim's mother."
" Nice to meet you." I replied, sticking out my hand. Mrs. Hemlock didn't take my hand. She took a couple of steps towards me, wrapping me in her arms. I just stood there, in her arms, shocked. I saw Tim walking down a flight of stairs. "Mother, why do you always have to smoother my friends?" Tim's face turned beat red with embarrassment. I felt her arms loosen around me. Mrs. Hemlock took a few steps back. " Sorry about that Chelsea, sometimes I get a little too carried away."
"It's fine. That just means you like me." I replied.
"We will have to see about that." Mrs Hemlock said jokingly.
"Well, you kind of have to like me. My mom was best friends with you in high school."
" Is your mom Kara Nicely?"
"That was her maiden name. Her name's Kara Thomas now."
"Oh my gosh, you look so much like her."
"Everyone in New York used to tell me that."
"I never pictured Kara a New Yorker."
"Mom, can we go pick up Kim. I kind of want to go feed the fish before it rains."
"Timothy, don't be rude. I was in the middle of talking to your friend."
I bursted out laughing. "Your full name is Timothy. I would have never guessed that."
Tim's whole face blushed red. "Mom, I told you not to call me that."
"Tim lighten up."
"Fine,can we go now."
"We most certainly can. Go grab the loaf of bread on the counter and we will be on our way."
Ten minutes later Mrs. Hemlock pulled up next to a beautiful,two story yellow house. Wow, Kim is so lucky. I wish I could move in with her. I wouldn't have to deal with my parents thinking I was crazy. Tim and I got out of the car, and headed up the stone path that led up to Kim's house. I took in my surroundings. There were exotic plants that I had never seen before. I thought that they were a new type of hybrid flower. "Chelsea, will you do me the honors and ring the doorbell?"
I blinked a minute. I was so distracted by the house's scenery that I hadn't realized we made it all the up to front door.
"Sure thing." I said, reaching up to ring the doorbell. I heard footsteps approaching the door. I hoped that it was Kim and not Kim's mom. I wasn't in the mood to have another lengthy conversation. The doorknob slowly turned and out popped Kim.
"Mom, Chelsea and Tim are here to pick me up. All be home in a few hours."
"Have fun." Kim's mom hollered, from upstairs.
" I will." Kim shouted back, closing the door behind her.
We arrived at the lake about fifteen minutes later. We all got out of the car at the same time. I looked out at the sparkly blue water. It brought back memories, memories that I had with my grandparents. As a little kid we always went to this lake to feed the giant carp. I remember my grandmother saying, "Chelsea look at all those fish swimming towards us, just to steal your bread." I would always laugh when my grandmother said that. After my grandmother died my grandfather never took me back to this lake. My grandpa was always in a depression. It was like after she died a part of him died with her. I felt a tear escape from my left eye. I felt Tim put his hand on my back. I turned around to face him."Chelsea, are you okay. I saw that tear slip out."
I smiled weakly. " Yeah, I'm fine. This place just brings back memories that I had with my grandparents."
"Well, just remember they will always have a place in your heart."
"Tim, you just don't understand. I see them. They warn me about the dead girl. She's the reason they haven't crossed over yet."
Tim took my hand in his. "All help you get through this. When I'm done with this spirit you'll have your life back."
I felt the urge to kiss him. I was eleven. I wasn't supposed to feel these feelings. When I was with Tim I felt like everything was going to be all right. I took Tim's hand and pulled him towards the water. I took a piece of bread out of the bag, broke it up, and fed it to the fish. At that moment I was compelled to end the feud the dead girl had with my family. I wanted the dead girl to cross over in peace, and start a brand new life in Heaven. Maybe then my life could go back to normal.