Chapter One

Sofia Mystique Alcantara

"Sofia Mystique Alcantara! Are you really sure about this?!" Halata ang frustration at concern sa mukha ni papa. "You have to think everything over again, princess." He sighed, paused and looked at me again. His worry even increasing by every second. "I know you're already old enough to decide on your own but I can't help worry about this decision of yours. Going to the Philippines to pursue your studies? That's absurd, sweetheart. America has more to offer! I wouldn't object if you choose to study in other countries, but why the Philippines?"

Pffft! Internally, I'm laughing at papa right now. He looks like a kid throwing tantrums.

"Papa, I really wanna go and finish my studies in the Philippines." Malumanay kong sabi. "I have already thought about this for a lot of times. Besides, all the boys are there too. If you're worried about me, the boys will be there to look after me. You really don't have to worry about me, papa. I miss the Philippines as well pm. It's been such a long time since I've been there. Don't worry, I'll call you everyday if you want. I'll keep you updated with whatever happens to me." Mahaba kong sabi. "Please, papa." I begged, both my hands clasped in front of me with my pleading kitty eyes.

Papa stared at me for so long that my eyes hurt from overdoing my pleading kitty eyes. He, finally, then sighed in defeat.

"Fine, I'll let you go and do whatever you want to. If only I'm not tied with anything in the company, I would've gone with you." Papa massaged his temples. "Follow me to the study, we'll make some arrangements for your departure."

"No need to, papa! Everything's ready and I'm good to go! Naihanda ko na lahat nang kakailanganin ko. Passport, Visa, plane ticket and even my luggages. I'm good to go." Masiglang sabi ko.

Papa stared at me wide eyed, his jaws hanging open. "Y-you what?! So you have already planned everything? You even got a plane ticket ready? What would've happened if I didn't agree?" Nakita ko ang pagkapikon sa mukha ni papa. I bet he can't believe I did everything behind his back.

"Hihi! I knew you would agree. I'm confident with my persuading ability. If you didn't agree today, I would keep on persuading you to let me go until you agree." I stuck my tongue at him and did a peace sign with my fingers.

"You have really become very stubborn and headstrong. I blame myself for doting and spoiling you too much." He said shaking his head.

I grabbed papa's arm and hugged it. "I'm really lucky and happy to have you as my papa. No one could ever be luckier than me!" I beamed at papa. Despite already being eighteen years old, I still act like a kid around papa. Most probably the reason why he worries about me a whole lot.

"Fine. Let's still go to the study. I'm waiting for an important business call. While waiting, I want you to tell me all your plans."

"Hmmm, sure, papa!"

****

"You better go now and check in. You don't want to miss your flight, do you?" Papa said softly, looking at me lovingly while caressing my head.

My eyes instantly started to water while looking at him. I'm having second thoughts about leaving papa. Ever since day one, he's all that I have. He's the only direct family that I have. He said mom left when I was a couple days old. He never had any other relationship with other woman. He must still be in love with mom even after she left us. Papa never told me anything about mom, her name, what she looks like or how they met.

I'm nervous of what I might find out in the Philippines.

Aside from wanting to study there, the main reason I wanna go is to look for mom. Papa said he did his best to look for her yet he never found her but I don't think he hasn't found her. Maybe mom never valued me and papa. Maybe she doesn't want to see me and papa knowing how much he loves and treasures me, doesn't want me to know about it. But I need to know. I want to know the truth. Yet...

I feel guilty. Very guilty, indeed. It's eating me up from inside out.

I have lied to papa on several occasions, but not like this. And looking at him right now, his face riddled with worry and pain for me, I guess he really knew the reason why I wanna go to the Philippines.

"Whatever happens, you are my princess. You always have a place to come home to." Papa says.

And that's it! As if on cue, I burst into tears while hugging papa. So he really knew. That confirms it. This is the reason why he doesn't want me to leave. Why he doesn't want me to go to the Philippines.

"Hmm. Papa will always be my number one. Wherever papa is, that is home." I was able to mutter despite my sobs.

After calming down for I while, papa urged me to check in again. He waved at me with a sad smile and my heart broke even more.

If my search for mom will be futile. I'll go home and behave.

But I realize, sometimes, not knowing is a whole lot better than knowing the truth.