Chapter 9

Chapter 9

6:03 pm

      “Bye Mrs. Downing, I have to go,” I said and waved leaving out the door. I ran down the street and made a couple turns and opened this big front door with that intricate design and walked in.

      I looked around taking it all in, and I sat on my couch—well, my old couch now—and took a deep breath. I studied the familiar sight, the familiar scent, old memories, and  those familiar footsteps--wait, those aren't familiar footsteps, I thought. I snapped my head up looking around the corner.

      “Jessica?” I heard Sarah call out.

      “I’m in here,” I called back.

      “Where is everybody?” she asked.

      “That’s what I wanted to tell you,” I said wiping away a tear. “My mom and dad left me.” Her eyes widened, questioning what I was saying and looking uber confused.

      “What do you mean they left you?”

      “My mom came into my room last night and told me she’s not going to see me for a long time, and left.” It was all hitting me right then, and I couldn’t picture life without them in it. I don’t know how to move on with my life. She sat her purse on the chair and came over to hug me.

      “Jessie I’m so sorry. Do you need somewhere to go?” she said brushing the hair out of my face. I wiped away a tear, and smiled. Well, an unsure smile, but it was still a smile.

      “Austin beat you to it,” I said sniffing and wiping my eye.

      “You’re living with Austin?” I laughed at how insane that sounded.

      “Yeah I guess I am,” I said. She raised her eyebrows in a hinting kind of way. “And guess what happened earlier," I added.

      “What?!” she said excited. Probably hoping something already happened.

      “I was walking out of the bathroom, in a towel right after my shower, and I ran right into him and fell on top of him,” I said shaking my head embarrassed.

      “Hahaha! How was it?”

      “How was what?”

      “Am I wrong to assume that something happened after that?”

      “No...you’re spot on. But it wasn't anything big.” I giggled.

      “So…” she pried.

      “So…what?

       "Tell me!" she demanded.

      "Tell you what?"

      "Don't play stupid!" she snapped.

      "I mean, it's nothing."

      "Tell. Me." she said then added, "please?" I rolled my eyes at her nosiness.

       " You know, I freaked out and rolled off him, and you know he rolled back on top of me. In the middle of the hallway. Wide open hallway…”

      “Ah! A hallway where so much can happen, if you know what I mean,” she said laughing and raising her eyebrows.

      “Oh, Sarah. What am I going to do with you..."

       "Well, you can start with telling me what happened next!" she squeaked.

       "I heard footsteps, and it eneded our moment. That's it!” I said happily sighing, and feeling my cheeks pink up.