While she silently ate her fish, Uncle Jonathon talked.  "We have an hour before we're due at the lawyer's.  I would rather you not have to attend, but he insisted on your presence.  I don't know how he thinks you're going to understand what's being discussed.  I'm sure it's all going to be over your head," he said, shaking his head with annoyance.  "As soon as we're finished, we'll go back to the apartment to pick up the luggage.  The train doesn't leave until eight p.m. so we'll have time for dinner.  Are you listening to me?" he asked sharply.

"Yes," she said, automatically sitting up straighter and looking at him.  He had the same brown eyes as her dad, but instead of the warmth she'd always been used to, they were hard and disapproving.

"Yes, sir?" he said with meaning, raising an eyebrow.  

"Yes, sir," she repeated quietly. 

"We'll be home by tomorrow afternoon, thank God," he sneered as he looked around crowded room condescendingly.

Not my home, Jess thought miserably.

"How my brother could stand all – this, I'll never know," he said, waving his hand in a vague way at the crowded dining room.  "Our home is in the country – fresh air, green grass, lots of trees.  Life is slower, more peaceful.  You'll like living there much better, Jessica," he added confidently as he sawed into his steak.

"Yes, sir," she murmured, feeling the familiar pain in her chest get worse at the thought of leaving. 

By 'our', she knew he meant him and his son, Douglas.  Jess had never met Douglas, but she knew he was two years older than her.  Uncle Jonathon's wife had died a long time ago giving birth to Douglas's little brother and the baby had died too.  She knew how sad he must have been to lose his mom and brother but now she could imagine how hard life had been since then with Uncle Jonathon for a dad.

As soon as they'd finished their meal, Uncle Jonathon flagged down the waiter and chastised him for not having already brought the bill while Jess squirmed in her seat some more.  As soon as he'd paid, they went to the coat check girl. 

Uncle Jonathon was all smiles when he handed the pretty brunette their ticket.  When she returned with their coats and his fedora, he showered her with compliments while she giggled, completely charmed by him.  When she saw the large bill he held out to her as a tip, her eyes got wide.  She tried to take it but he didn't let go and leaned close to whisper something in her ear.  She blushed heavily, giggling even more and he finally released the money with a wink. 

Jess turned her back to them as she tugged on her white cotton gloves, feeling disgusted.  How could anyone be so easily fooled?  She was surprised to feel him helping her into her coat.  She knew he was only doing it because the coat check girl was watching. 

They stepped outside into unusually cool spring air and a door man in a long red coat and black top hat hailed a taxi.  He opened the door and stood at attention, waiting for them to climb in.  Jess got in first and once seated, looked out the window so she wouldn't have to look at her uncle.