Only one Martin, C. was listed and it was the right address. He dialed the number waiting smugly.

"Hello?"

"Is this Curtis Martin?"

"Who's calling please?"

"Mr. Martin we're conducting an environmental poll regarding the use of the green space surrounding the suburbs of Hammond and I wonder if you could give me five minutes of your time to answer a few questions?"

"I'm not really interest—"

"Not interested in the environment, Mr. martin? That's shocking in this day and age."

"I didn't mean that. I meant I'm not interested in your poll."

"It's only five minutes, sir"

Sandra came to the phone and put her ear next to Curtis's and listened to the voice she knew so well. Curtis muttered, "It's a man doing a poll."

She reached down and cut off the call. "That was him."

"Him? Gabe?"

"Yes. I told you he could track me down somehow."

"But how?"

"It doesn't matter how, Curtis. What matters is he has and you just confirmed it." She was still in just her panties and no bra and Curtis was looking at her strangely. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, nothing at all." He reached out and caressed a bare breast.

"Hey! For Christ's sake, Curtis." She backed away and went to retrieve her blouse and pants. He followed.

"You were wonderful, Sandra."

"Yeah, well so were you, Curtis. Just friggin' wonderful but we have a situation to resolve right now and it isn't about mutual feelings." She pulled on her pants and tucked in the blouse then sat on the bed and put on her shoes. "You might consider covering up a little yourself." She went back to the living room and picked up the phone book.

Curtis put on his clothes and then fell disconsolately into a chair. "What are you doing?"

"Looking up car rentals."

"I have a car."

"I know that, and you can bet Gabe knows that too... and exactly which one it is."

"Why do you want another car?"

"Curtis I have to get away from here. Gabe is no fool; he knows I'm here."

"But how?"

"Jesus Christ, Curtis will you stop asking how! He knows, okay!"

"But you don't have any money... for a car I mean."

She closed the book and looked at him. "I don't have any money for anything, Curtis. I was hoping you might help out in that regard."

"I already put it back, you know that."

She sighed and tossed the book on the floor. "Curtis, did you not come to me with your offer of help?" He nodded. "Did you not actually steal money from your bank to help me?"

"But I put it back..."

"Did you not wield a gun around just a short time ago and promise to protect me?" He blushed and nodded again. "And did I not show my appreciation by giving you the wildest sex you ever dreamed of having?" His head was bobbing like an oil pump. "And now when I really do need your help and protection, don't you think it might be nice if you offered more than words?"

"How much?" His voice was so low she had to sit forward.

"Pardon?"

"How much do you need?"

"Oh, Curtis. You are a prince." She got down and walked on her knees toward him, placing a hand on each of his thighs. "Just enough to rent a car for say a week. That should be plenty to lose Gabe again. And a drop-off arrangement would be perfect." She didn't care if the car went over a cliff after she got away but the extra money could certainly help.

"You're going away?"

"Well yes, Curtis. That's why I need money for a car. I can't stay here any longer, it isn't safe for either of us."

"What about me?"

"You need to let me go, Curtis. My being here will only make it dangerous for you."

"Then let me come to." He sat up and took her by the shoulders. "We can go together. I'll close out my account and we'll get another car and we'll just go." He was getting excited and his voice was climbing again and Sandra choked up inside thinking of what it would be like traveling with Curtis Martin... and she gagged mentally.

"Curtis that is a bad idea. You have a job, a life. You can't just throw that all away." She could feel him tensing and she knew words would be totally useless so with a heavy, silent sigh, Sandra began doing what she knew never failed.

************************