n i n e // x plus y equals yes

"Good morning sunshine," Kat beams right by me, and I can't help but furrow my eyebrows. She's in an unusually good mood.

She has once again changed her hair color, choosing black as the new one. Her shirt reads 'I was normal three cats ago' and I can't help but laugh as I read it over.

"Good morning, unusually nice cat lady," I reply, throwing some books from my locker into my bag.

"Can't you be happy that I'm feeling nice today? At least I won't pick on you, not until later anyway," she shrugs, opening her own locker and getting her stuff out.

"And why are you acting like this, then?" Closing my locker, I lean my shoulder against it and stare at her.

"Well, since you asked," closing the locker door as well, she chuckles. "I asked Trey Rivers to Homecoming. He said yes."

I think I almost forgot that this year, girls are supposed to ask guys to Homecoming, and not the other way around. It isn't like I was planning to go there anyway, but now the chances of going are even slimmer.

"Trey Rivers... You mean emo guy from the Country Club?" I suddenly hear Kayin speak, and in a couple of seconds he's standing right next to us.

"He's not emo!" Kat slaps his arm. "He just happens to like wearing black, a lot."

"Is that why you dyed your hair black again?" Kayin analyzes her hair with his eyes and fingers, and Kat slaps his hand away.

"No," although she denies it, I can see the faint blush on her cheeks.

"Again? When was your hair ever black?" I question, confused. I don't think I have ever seen her with this hair color.

"Last summer," she shrugs and I purse my lips. Of course I wouldn't have known, I spent last summer ignoring the both of them.

"It looks good on you," I try alleviating the situation with a compliment, but I don't think she buys it.

"Sure Morrison," she rolls her eyes at me before turning to Kayin. "Has anyone asked you out yet? I hear this year's theme is 'Fairtytale Ball', ew," she adds a fake gagging sound at the end.

"A bunch of people, actually," he taps his chin with his index finger. "But I had to accept Nex's proposal."

My eyes nearly bulge out of their sockets. "Nex asked you?"

"Don't be so surprised, she is my classmate after all," he reasons. "Besides, she told me she wanted to go with someone she actually liked, instead of one of those jocks that are only after you know what."

"Don't lie to yourself, Kayin," Kat rolled her eyes again, but this time, Kayin was the target. "I bet all she did was ask you out because you're most likely going to win King."

I always forget how popular Kayin is. He doesn't act snobby or uptight about it, so it's hard to associate him with the popular crowd. However, it's in this sort of thing that he really stands out.

"Okay, maybe there was that too," Kayin agrees and Kat lets out a sigh. I can tell she doesn't like the idea, at all.

I have had a lot of opportunities to ask Kat for an explanation as to why she seems to hate Nex with everything inside her. All I know, along with everyone else in the school, is that they used to be very close a couple of years ago, when Kat was a freshman and Nex was a sophomore.

As I remember it, Nex was almost like a fourth wheel. I don't think I really ever talked to her a lot, but I believe those were the only times in which she would even notice that I existed.