Four||Disapearing Act

Start from the beginning

I nearly made a noise of enjoyment, but it got caught in my throat when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. My spoon was held mid-air, and a couple of pieces splashed back into my bowl. I swallowed my food and turned to see who had caught me sneaking around.

A large man with a big belly wearing a white apron full of various stains stood in another doorway opposite the doors I had entered.

"Uhh..." Was all I could muster.

"And what do you think you're doing?" He said as he placed an empty cauldron beside what looked like a washing section.

I held up the bowl of food as evidence. "I was hungry."

The man hummed and walked around the fire to grab another cauldron. He exited the kitchen without another word. I stood there for a second to process, but I continued eating anyway.

He returned quickly, this time holding something wrapped up in a towel in his hand. He came toward me and gestured for my free hand. I extended it warily and watched as he placed the covered item into my hand.

"Those boys are vultures. Now at least you'll get some dessert." He smiled, and the wrinkles around his eyes became more prominent.

Opening the towel, I stared at a sweet-looking piece of bread with confusion. "What is it?"

"You've never had a cinnamon bun before?" He asked as he made his way to where a pile of dirty dishes was.

I shook my head but realized he couldn't see me. "No," I replied. "I'm from a small village."

"I thought your accent sounded familiar. Acrine?" His hands got to work on scrubbing at the dishes.

I chuckled. If anyone had an accent, it was him. "Yes." Finishing my bowl of stew, I got to work on devouring the sweet cinnamon bun the man had given me. "This is delicious!" I exclaimed. He laughed while shaking his head but didn't turn away from the dirtying water. "Thank you," I said softly.

Instead of leaving, I repaid the man's kindness by helping him wash and dry the dishes. We spoke of where he was from and how he learned to cook and bake. His family owned The Golden Monkey Inn in Lancaster where his mom and dad both taught him how to cook and bake. He seemed like a gentle soul, and it was easy to talk to him.

Tanix, which I learned his name be, turned my mood around just by being hospitable. But once we departed and I made my way back up to where my bed was, my mood turned sour once more. Tomorrow when I awoke, I would not be trained here as a dragon rider. Instead, I was to leave this place and return home to my family. I would be an embarrassment.

I shook my head out and started packing my belongings. If those fools didn't want to keep me, then fine. I would do this on my own. My breathing felt rapid as I slung my bag over my shoulder. A cold sheen of sweat was coating the pale skin of my hands. Wiping my hands onto my pants, I quickly opened the creaky door, hoping that by the fast pace I had moved it, it wouldn't send shrill cries of protest. Learning from past experiences, I had easily acquired a few tricks in getting things quietly, even if there were squeaky hinges.

I had studied this room from top to bottom when I first came here. Even with the short time I had spent within the Headmaster's office, I managed to obtain enough details of these walls to remember exactly where everything was placed. And I came here in search of one thing in particular—a map of the lands that spread across charted waters.

Ripping the map down from the wall, I rolled it up and put it in my satchel with the rest of my supplies. I walked swiftly out of the room, following along the walls of the building at a brisk pace. My goal was to go to the stables without anyone noticing, and I hoped no one was awake at this hour.