Milk, Cheese, Chocolate | Never a Dream

Because of the running water, Rain nearly missed the phone ringing

Because of the running water, Rain nearly missed the phone ringing. She stepped out of the bathtub, put on her robe, and wrapped her golden curly hair with a towel. She turned the speaker on and sat on the chair.

"Rain Kaudenne speaking." She had developed a habit of answering fast and polite while she was working from home. Clients called her all the time, wherever she was, so she had to be prepared.

On the other side of the line, some lady was gabbling about Ed Jameson. Rain quickly browsed the files on her table and found out that she had recently sent him her portfolio, and he was a good friend of John's.

Ed was looking for someone to decorate his club, so Rain was pretty excited. Usually people were asking for apartments or, less often, coffee shops, but never clubs. Clubs had all that freedom of expression. Ed probably was only an investor, so he wouldn't be poking his nose into the design a lot. Rain sensed a blank check on the project, and that worked just fine for her.

A female voice from the phone was arranging a meeting with Ed.

"He is a very busy man. Can you be there at half past six? Ed is going to be there too, so you'll be able to take a look at the scene."

"Of course, I will be there."

"Thank you. Have a good day."

"You too."

That was probably his secretary, meaning he might have another business on the side.

Well, that name, Ed... Rain couldn't finish the thought, because she heard a key turning in the door lock. That was Will.

Rain sneaked into the bedroom. It wouldn't be very smart to stand before her ex wearing nothing but a bathrobe. And this was in a total disagreement with Dr. Fitzroy's new psychology book. Although, the doctor never wrote anything on exes dropping by to pick up their stuff a month after the breakup, with no intention of returning the key.

While his unconfident stamp was striking upon the hallway, Rain made it out of a long robe and slipped into something "less comfortable," which was a new dress that had eaten half of her recent check.

Rain checked herself in the mirror with a demanding look: the gray dress fit her perfectly and accentuated all the good points of her body. No wonder, she'd been dieting after the breakup so she may have lost a few pounds. Not that she needed a diet, she just loved buying antiques so much, she could spend loads of money on them and forget completely about filling the refrigerator. She tied her hair in a ponytail, bent over in front of the mirror, and moistened her lips. Cherry, scarlet, pink... Rain picked a random lipstick color.

A few minutes later, she appeared in her living room. Will was examining the figurines tastefully arranged on the mantel shelf. Rain's eye caught some hesitation in his movement as he walked around them. He was so paltry. Always was. He was probably thinking of how to sneak out a glass sphere from Verona. They went there last fall, and he had bought it for her with the money he'd won on the lottery. Not that the sphere was something special or valuable, for that matter. But that pettiness! Rain leaned against the door and crossed her arms. Will noticed her and finally turned around.

"Hi there, I thought you were out." She noticed his confusion. Will's glance went from her eyes straight to her lips as if he was waiting for a kiss or, at least, a smile.

"I thought you would use a doorbell, like any normal person would do." Rain shrugged. "Leave the key at the hanger by the door."

"Can we talk?"

Rain walked across the room so Will's question caught her at the kitchen door. She gave him a harsh look with a "no" written all over it. There was no need to try to ride another half a foot on the running-board of a train that was long gone. In other words, she did not want to discuss for the hundredth time the reasons and motives of their breakup. Besides, Rain never wanted to get back together. She turned the door-handle and walked away, letting him see himself out.

Damn, she forgot to turn off the TV again. Who knows how long it had been on. She might as well expect another raise in her bill. But that she could cope with. Rain poured herself a cup of green tea and opened the refrigerator, looking for anything that could pass for a snack. There was an opened milk bottle, cheese, and some chocolate. The latter could work even if the bar was frozen and really hard to break.

Will could have acted smarter. Obviously, she wasn't enjoying him scrounging around her house. She wondered if he had moved back in with his parents now. Well, sure, what else was he gonna do? He was absolutely unable to look after himself.

Rain pressed the remote button and turned the sound on. She thought of that Ed again. What could his full name be?

Edward?

Edwin?

Eduardo?

Whatever it was, he definitely preferred the short version. Plain and elegant. What style might he like in his club? Maybe she shouldn't start with something too jazzy, even though he saw the coffee shop. On the other hand, he could be a high-minded man who enjoyed something classic or even minimalistic.

What if he ordered everything in three colors?

Ed Jameson... Hmm, no, he couldn't be extravagant, otherwise he would've changed his last name and become Ed Jamesionne. He could also wear a beret and a scarf. Rain smiled at her own thoughts, biting off a piece of chocolate.

Some bright lines were flashing on the screen. Rain's imagination immediately painted a few elements, added a crooked plant in a pot, and three '60s-inspired chairs.

What if Ed wanted to open a disco-club? Or a swingers club? That could be interesting too, only as an experiment.

Click.

'Try again. Maybe you'll get lucky next time!' Some kind of a game show.

Click.

'A team of seven scientists...' A documentary.

Click.

'A new crowd puller, Matt Leutte and his band...' Music news.