Chapter 3

I ran as quickly as my two legs could carry me and quickly found a place to hide which fortunately for me was behind one of the trees in the court yard.

The voices were coming closer and soon filled the area. They were two females. I carefully stuck my head around the side only to see that they were both servants carrying long white sheets obviously heading up two one of the guest bedrooms quickly to change the bedding as most probably a guest who wasn't planning on staying the night changed their mind.

"I heard that the prince is searching for a bride, apparently he can't claim the throne without a queen to stand beside him." The one girl said to the other.

"It will probably be someone of an old family name that is rich and holds a lot of power, that is actually why I think he is holding the ball that's coming up in a few nights." The other sighed before their voices vanished into the distance.

I would rather not involve myself in castle politics, to much drama and gossip.

I quickly moved and ran towards the vines and climbed up taking each step carefully. Soon I was on the roof. I moved as fast as a could yet quietly and carefully as possible. I made sure that I was in ultimate stealth mode.

I soon found a chimney which thankfully had no smoke coming out meaning there was no fire lit below it. I jumped down using it's walls to break my fall and landed as quietly as I could at the bottom of it. I slowly climbed out only to discover that I am covered in filth from head to toe.

I quickly surveyed my surroundings only to discover that I am exactly where I need to be. The room was quite small considering it was an study for someone of importance. I dusted off my hands and the bottom of my boots so I wouldn't leave a trace that I was in here.

I made my way to the desk and felt underneath it for a button or leaver of some sort. Sure enough I found it. I pressed it which caused the desk to make a creaking sound but soon the bottom draw opened slightly. I opened it properly and pulled out a box which had a key in it. Gently pulling out the key, I made my way over to the bookshelf and counted three rows up and fourteen to the exact book on the line.

I carefully tugged the top of it causing a faint click to be heard and one of the paintings on the wall to slightly move. I moved the book back into it's rightful place and made my way over to the painting.

It was a beautiful piece of artwork with elegant smooth strokes and detail added from the paintbrush. This artist is truly talented to draw such a beautiful work. It is of an owl with bright yellow eyes and the greyest of feathers, truly exquisite. Not that i am one that takes much pleasure in viewing art, I have never really had much luck with it.

For example, on my first day with my tutor, she tried to teach me the technique of linear drawing and started me off with a fine type of pencil. Let's just say she was scarred for life after that incident and we never touched it let alone thought of me doing art ever again. I softly chuckled at the memory before returning to the task at hand.

I moved the painting which came loose with the click that was heard earlier. There was a safe hidden behind it.

I took the key, put it in the keyhole and gently turned it causing the safe to unlock. I creepily smiled in victory to myself.

Lying in the safe was a black silk pouch, I quickly grabbed it and stuffed it in my pocket. There was more in the safe but I chose to ignore it as it wasn't of importance to me. It may be of value but I came to get only what I needed nothing more so I shut the safe, moved the painting back into place, put the key back into the box and the box back into the draw before shutting it once more.

Once I was certain that not a hair was out of place, I made my move to leave. I had to go back up the chimney as I knew the door was locked. This is in the Prince's private quarters and is highly guarded.

As I was making my way up to the chimney once more, I heard footsteps heading towards the study I was currently occupying. I then heard the soft jingle of keys being rattled and inserted into the lock on the door.

Not good...

I thought to myself. As quickly and quietly as I could, I started climbing the chimney.
Just then I heard a something heavy drop followed by a groan.

It belonged to a male and was truly one of the most amazing sounds i have ever heard. I then heard shuffling and mumbling but I didn't stay to hear the rest.

Once I was out of the chimney, on the roof again, I made my way down to the kitchens before dropping to ground level and making my way back the way I came, thankfully the cart was still there having the last of the supplies offloaded.

As no one was looking I made my way back under the cart and latched on ready to go. In no time at all was the cart moving again.

Just as we passed through the gate, a thunderous scream was heard. I am guessing the person has discovered an important item is missing. What the item is, I have no clue. I vowed not to look in the bag only to retrieve it.

This better be worth all the hassle. What bothers me though and it shouldn't is that Sir Patrick knew exactly where everything was. I suppose he is the Prince's uncle but still it is odd.

Soon the cart came to a stop, a good distance away from the palace. I let out a breathe of relief before letting go and sliding out from underneath it. I thanked the man controlling the cart and he just eyed me weirdly before leaving.

I don't know what but something propelled me to take out the object that I stole and look at it while I made my way towards the place I would meet Lord Patrick at to hand it over in exchange for my dagger.

What I saw was a total shock to me. I should of never agreed to steal this. What was I thinking? Right I did it for my dagger but was it worth the risk? I must not under any condition let Sir Patrick or anyone else get their hands on this.

I think I have just figured out why Lord Patrick would ever need me to steal this, he needs it to take control of the kingdom.