Chap 1.4

Jan looked around the room at the three thousand members of the Government Seat Council for a brief moment before he spoke once again. "We all know that the Federation has been in a downward spiraling situation for more than ten annual cycles.  Every institution in the Federation is working on this pressing matter.  But in this moment we have an immediate situation that must be addressed. The Upmanc Conglomerate has orbited a war fleet over the heart of our government."

Jan placed both of his hands on the podium and leaned toward the seated multitude of councilors, his face full of resolve. "We all know they are three annual cycles early.  Why they have chosen to arrive at this time is unknown, but by the mutual contract between the Phoer and the Upmanc it is their right."

Jan paused a moment to look around the room, as if making sure that every delegate grasped the full weight of what he was saying. "Right now, the Government Seat and the Select Council can only prepare for negotiations with the Upmanc, and they're here!" To emphasize the point, Jan pointed a finger toward to ceiling of the auditorium.

"This is only the second time since our ancestors won freedom from the Upmanc Conglomerate that they have chosen to enter our space with weapons of war. Under the terms of the agreement between the Phoer and the Upmanc, we are allowed no standing army or heavy weapons. So we must go into these negotiations with our best ideas and imaginations."

Jan could tell that the initial fear and anger from Orthor's speech were subsiding and the Delegations were coming back to reason, having been reminded of the immediate threat over their heads.

"This government must stand together in this precarious moment, letting our resolve give hope to all Phoersians. Only through unity will we find a path to successful negotiation with the Upmanc, and lead our Federation to its long overdue freedom. Together we will close the chapter of Upmanc Conglomerate oversight and domination over our destiny!"

Jan saw a Point of Order light in the high distance of the auditorium come on. There was no way to stop the delegation from speaking, and Jan knew it could very well mean the immediate resumption of the No Confidence vote.

Jan did not hesitate to grant the Point of Order request. Suddently everyone in the auditorium saw the face of Dev Naaro projected over all the Delegates seated in the room.

Dev Narro was the elected Speaker for all Arcology and Agriculture Orbital Platforms, and because of his many cycles holding his Councilor's seat, he was both a well recognized and respected Councilor. 

 The one hundred and twenty five Arcology platforms in orbit around the three stars of the Phoer Federation held over seven billion citizens. As the elected Head Speaker for those platforms, every word he spoke carried enormous weight.