zero

00. | EARTH'S MIGHTIEST HEROES

THE BATTLE OF NEW YORK changed everything.

Not only did we learn in an undeniable way that we as humans are not alone in the universe, we learned that the universe is much bigger—and much more dangerous—place than we ever expected.

A hole opened in the sky over Manhattan, and the stuff nightmares are made of descended. Monstrous aliens, called Chitauri, zipped through the air on flying chariots and blasted crowds with their devastating lasers. Worse than this, the Chitauri brought with them flying giant whale-like Leviathans, seemingly impossible beasts that wreaked destruction in ways we never could have imagined. While the people of Earth witness the greatest evil they'd ever known, they also experienced their greatest hope.

On that day, Earth's Mightiest Heroes found themselves united against a common threat. The Avengers were born, brought together to fight foes that no single hero could withstand. Captain America, a man who had served his nation at a time when its freedom was threatened, once again risked his life to stop tyranny. The Hulk, a hunted and despised beast, protected those who hated him—defended a world that had never defended him. Thor, a prince from another dimension, battled for a plant and a people that were not his own. Hawkeye, at the time a loyal S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, struck back against Thor's evil brother, Loki, who had enslaved his mind. Black Widow, a mysterious spy, showed that her loyalties could never be doubted. Red Cobra, a trained assassin who was perceived to be a freak of nature by those around her and was told that she didn't belong, proved that her abilities were nothing to fear.

And Iron Man—a playboy born of privilege who once made weapons—flew a nuclear missile through a doorway in space to an untold corner of the universe. Tony Stark, the man inside the armor, had enough money that he could have hidden himself in a bunker—could have turned his back on humanity and let it all burn. But he did not. He risked everything, and barely emerged with his life.

The Avengers saved us all. And they didn't stop trying to save us.

Stark defied an international terrorist organization run by the Mandarin, and as a result was hit by a missile strike on his own home. Missing, and for a while presumed dead, Iron Man reemerged to combat the now superpowered terrorists, destroy their plans, and save the president of the United States from assassination.

When the next alien attack came to the planet, it came not to New York, but to Greenwich, England. A race known as the Dark Elves, led by Malekith, appeared above the city in a spaceship the size of a skyscraper. Malekith came not just to wipe out Earth, but also to use a substance known as the Aether to re-create the universe with his species at the center. But Thor battled Malekith and his soldiers long enough for his human friends to banish the Dark Elves forever.

After all these assaults, it was shocking to be attacked from within. We always believe that S.H.I.E.L.D. existed to defend us. However, Captain America and Red Cobra discovered that Hydra, a terrorist organization with roots in WWII, had long ago infiltrated the international security organization at its very foundation.

When the evil federation attempted to use S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarriers to destroy thousands of potential adversaries, Captain America was there. He battled at great cost to save people around the world.

S.H.I.E.L.D., as an organization, was shredded—untrusted by the world. While pockets of agents still worked in the shadows to help humankind, the once powerful operation was reduce to a few small, loyal strike forces.

Without S.H.I.E.L.D., Tony Stark and Dr. Bruce Banner, the man who could transform into the Hulk, began the long work of creating an advanced defense system that could save humanity from future attacks—a system that could potentially become the most important technology ever created.

Stark, at his own personal expense, transformed New York's Stark Industries building into the Avengers Tower. It was a symbol of hope for all who saw it—a symbol for the Avengers, in the very city where they had stopped an alien army.

The tower served as a base of operations where the Avengers, either separately or as a team, could run missions. It is where Thor came when he discovered a dangerous secret...

The longtime Hydra leader, Baron von Strucker, had acquired Loki's extremely powerful scepter, and was out there, somewhere, laying plans.

Based on this knowledge, the Avengers banded together and searched for Baron Strucker's secret location by systematically attacking and dismantling known Hydra bases around the world.

Base after base fell, but never one with Strucker inside.

Until one night...

▲▽▲

not edited