☠ Chapter One ☠

[WARNING: Graphic and disturbing language is contained in this chapter. Do go on if you wish. Read at your own risk.]

☠ C h a p t e r  O n e ☠

I looked at Carol with wide eyes as I started to panic. My pulse could be heard like a harshly beaten drum in my ears. Carol looked at me, too. Although you couldn't read hers the way you could mine. Fear was obviously visible in my eyes, although in hers there seemed to be no such thing.

"Jade, you need to keep calm," She strictly told me. I shook my head as tears welled up in my eyes. What if it was him? Was it really that easy for him? I thought.

"H-how? How can I, Carol? I can not control my anxiety!" I whisper-yelled. Did she not understand how much danger we were both in?

"I know this situation isn't the best, but you have to stay calm in order for it to not be as bad," She replied as if it were nothing. I huffed before there was yet another loud bang coming from the front door. "Wait here, my dear."

"But -"

"Don't you dare come out, either," She warned me. I nodded even though my mind screamed 'No!' as she slowly made herself closer and closer to the door. "I'm coming!" She called. I was now shaking, as I hid behind the couch. I closed my eyes, biting my lip as I heard the familiar sound of the door being unlocked, and the creep creak sound of it being opened. My eyes immediately popped open when I heard a familiar deep voice.

"Hello, Mrs. Parkers. How are you coping?" The deep voice said.

"Well," Carol paused before continuing, "times are tough but-" she paused.

"It's alright, ma'am. I understand," said the deep voice whom I'm assuming is an officer of some sort.

"H-have you gotten any n-news yet?" Carol stuttered. My heart sank knowing she was on the verge of tears. I felt like it was partially my fault for all of the cause from her daughter's death, to now. Which half was, sort of.

"No, ma'am. Nothing yet," he said emphasizing on the last word. "But, we're still investigating and everything." Carol sighed. 

"I understand," was all Carol said before the man spoke up again.

 "Well, you know that we're all here for you if you need anything."

"Yes, I-I know.. Thank you Officer Martin. I appreciate it, really," Carol said.

"I'm the sheriff, it's my job," Officer Martin chuckled. That's who I talked to that night. That's who helped me that night. And that is who introduced me and Zach that night. That terrible night that ruined everything about me. Literally, everything. "And sorry to check up on you so late, I just figured I knew you usually are home late and alone so, I felt the need to."

"Oh! About that, Officer Martin I have something I need you for," Carol asked before suddenly the door shut, but not before I heard Officer Martin's fading voice reply with a, "And what is that, Miss?" 

I knew they were outside, and I was alone in the house for now. As I revealed myself from behind the couch, I hadn't noticed the breath I was holding in before I exhaled, the feeling in my lungs burning from lack of oxygen. A sudden loud bang was heard from the left side of me, towards the door from the dining room. My head snapped in the direction. As curious and startled as I was, I made my way towards it when suddenly, an object was in plain sight. But not just any object. It was a living one. A cat. A black cat, that almost seemed invisible in the dark night if it weren't for the light above the door outside. As I looked down at the cat, I couldn't help but smile at it's appearance. It's paw was banging on the door, the quiet 'meow' escaped as it's breath was visible on the glass before fading away as if it were never even there. I was never a big fan of cats as I had a bad experience with my aunt's before, but this one was quite a fascination. It seemed friendly, and loving. Although, cats were sneaky.