-2-

-2-

 Sunday was a hard day for Stacy. Working next to Jake and acting like nothing happened wasn’t an easy task. Not because he made it awkward. By looking just at his actions you would have never known anything did happen. The hard part was all in her head. She just couldn’t stop thinking about the night before. When it was time to close up, she felt like running out the door. Jake walked her to her car like normal, but before he left her, he gave her his number.

It was now wednesday, and she still hadn’t used it. She didn’t even know if she wanted to. Work at the office was slow so she picked up the phone and called her best friend Taneeka. She figured she could use a long lunch and some girl talk. They agreed to meet at their usual spot. It was a local owned bakery cafe that sold the best soup and sandwiches.

Taneeka and Stacy had been friends since high school. Even after Taneeka left for college and Stacy had to stay back with her daughter, the two remained in contact. A lot of people thought their different paths would cause them to grow apart, but their friendship was real, and there hasn’t gone a week where they didn’t talk on the phone, or meet up. Stacy was happy that Taneeka got a job at a bank in their home town. Having her best friend living a few minutes away again was great.

“I don’t see what the problem is. He likes you. You like him. Call him and have some fun.” Taneeka said in between bites.

“I don’t have time to date.” Stacy replied

 “Sure you do. You have time to sit here with me. You could be having lunch with Jake instead. I’ve known you forever, and I can tell you are just scared. Not every guy is Marcus.” Stacy sighed. Her best friend was right. She was scared. Marcus was the father of her daughter. He was smooth talking and up to no good. After he convinced Stacy to sleep with him, it didn’t even take him a day to start blowing her off. He was infuriated when he found out she was pregnant and tried to force her to not have the baby. She was only 18 and about to graduate high school. Part of her wanted to not have the baby either. Her whole life was just starting. She decided to keep the baby at the last minute, and honestly hasn’t had one regret. After her experience with Marcus, Stacy didn’t really date anymore. She just kept her focus on her daughter and school. Despite the challenges, Stacy would be a college graduate by the end of the summer. 

“You’re right. I am scared, but there is more to it. I have my daughter, work, and school. I can’t afford to date someone working part-time at the mall. Also what about him being white? I’ve never dated a white guy.” Stacy explained.

“Don’t put boundaries on love.” is all that Taneeka said. Love? Stacey thought to herself. She hadn’t even thought finding love was in her near or distant future. There were so many other things on her to-do list.

“Once again, you’re right.” The girls laughed and finished their lunch sharing gossip about past and present friends. After their conversation, Stacy made a mental note to call Jake that afternoon.

*****

It had been forever since Stacy was involved in any type of romantic relationship. She sat at her desk in the office lobby thinking about what to say on the phone with Jake. After playing out different things, she decided texting him would be much easier. Then if he wanted to call, it wouldn't be so awkward. Right when she was about take out her phone, her boss called her into his office.

"Stacy, I asked you in here just to update you on what's going on. We just got a big client. This guy is already rich and if we are successful with his lawsuit we all will be a little richer. Things have been tight for the firm, but if we can close this case smoothly we will be able to pay out end of the year bonuses, and maybe even double what we gave last year. All this being said to let you know the phones will be crazy and maybe even lots of different people in and out. You are already doing a great job, so I don't doubt you can handle it. I just wanted to give you a heads up." Mr. Woods smiled after he finished his little speach. The only parts that meant anything to Stacy was her Christmas bonus and the fact that she was probably going to be working more hours. When things got busy, her job description got stretched from receptionist to personal assistant. Once they had her running errands for a client! She just hopped it didn't happen like that again so close to Christmas. At the same time if her bonus was linked to this new client, then she was willing to put in the extra effort.

When she made it back to her desk she pulled out her phone and sent Jake a message.

Hey it's me, Stacy from the mall.

 She started flipping through the office mail to organize it and then eventually deliver it when her phone beeped. 

I know who you are. Took you long enough to use my number. I was starting to doubt my charm. Does this mean you are ready to say yes?

 She was shocked at how quickly he responded. It made her think he probably didn't even have another job. That idea made her instantly regret sending him a message. However, it was too late, and like Taneeka said, she couldn't put boundaries on love. Love. The word seemed so strong and out of place for this situation. For all she knew this could start and end before the new year. Stacy and Jake continued to text for the rest of day. Even after they settled on a late dinner date Saturday work. He wouldn't tell her where, and she was praying it wouldn't be a fast food restaurant or even worse, his house. She didn't know what type of girls he was used to, or what he thought dating a black women was supposed to be like. Last thing she needed was him thinking he was automatically going to get her in his bed. Stacy wanted Jake, but she also wanted to make sure he respected her. Respect meant a lot to her after what happened with Marcus.

She hated the term baby daddy, but Marcus was living up to the dead beat baby daddy stereotype. She never really expected him to take responsibility, because he didn’t want a baby to begin with. But throughout the past four years, he would always come to her with some lame story about how he wanted to be a part of her and Ebony’s life. Because he was her daughter’s father, she would give him a chance. It always turned into drama. She would later find out he was just using her for a place to stay because either one of his other girls kicked him out, or he needed a place to lay low from some trouble. Marcus was always involved in drugs and gangs, but recently things seemed to be worse. The last she heard was that he was wanted by the police for questioning about a drug related murder. Stacy told herself, that if he went to prison, she would be done with him for good. His name wasn’t even officially on her daughter’s birth certificate so there wasn’t like he had any legal claim.

 Stacey shrugged off the bad memories with Marcus. She thought more about her bestfriend’s advice. It was time she let go of the past and moved on. She couldn’t let fear ruin her future.

 *****

"I did it!" Stacy exclaimed. She was on the phone with Taneeka that next morning. "We're going out Saturday." It was about 6am and she was already walking up to the office building, Mr. Woods didn't ask her to open up the office early, but she knew since things were getting busy it wouldn't hurt.

"Finally! So when are we going shopping? I know you need something to wear," Taneeka replied. Talking early had become a lasting habit earlier in the year. They would call to remind one another to workout or just say encouraging words to start the day.

"I don't know where we are going, and I'm not sure if I should be buying new clothes right now."

"It will be my treat to celebrate you returning to the dating game." Taneeka offered. Stacy wanted to say no, but she knew Taneeka was going to have her way. So she simply agreed to meet her friend after she picked up her daughter. They could make it a girls night and get ice cream at the mall. When they got off the phone Stacy had a new message.

 Good morning, beautiful. I couldn't stop thinking about you last night ;)

Stacy sat at her desk and smiled. She could get used to this.

AN: Don't forget to comment and let me know what you think. Next chapter should be their first date. I'm expecting things to start heating up between them.