11: Long Live Our Friendship!

Sorry for the lack of chapters. School has started and my teacher had been bombarding the class with tests in the first week then projects and assignments on the second :/ -Author

Riley's POV

Its been a good week without talking to Blake. He hasn't tried to contact me after what happened. I was sitting at home fiddling with my pencil trying to finish my homework.

"Riley!" Mom calls out. I hop out of my seat and run down to the kitchen where she was making dinner. "Yes?" I say. "I need you to buy some stuff from the supermarket." She says.

I look at the clock confused, "Mom, it's like 8. I don't think the supermarket is open." She hands me some money then pushes me out the door, "It doesn't close until 9. Hurry go!" The door slams behind me and my whole body is greeted by the cold breeze. I zip up my sweater and stuff my hands in my pockets.

I take the bus to our local supermarket and to my surprise, it was still open. I look at the list mom gave me and grab a cart. I make my way inside the supermarket and buy everything that was on the list, dish soap, butter, bread, eggs, milk, yogurt, and blueberries.

Once I got everything, I roll the cart up to the cashier and place the products on the conveyer belt. As the cashier scans each item I watch the numbers go up, up, and up. "That will be $79.50," the cashier says. I take out the money and hand it to her. After paying I pick up all the bags and start walking outside.

"Fuck," I mutter. My arms start to ache from the weight of the groceries. "Need some help?" The person that I wasn't expecting to hear tonight was standing right behind me. "No," I say and pick everything up again. "Come on, Riles. Let me help." Blake tries taking a bag from my hand but I jerk my arm away.

"Why are you being so stubborn?" He rolls his eyes. Oh, he did not just ask that! My blood was boiling and I was seeing red. "Ha! Me, being stubborn? That's funny coming from the guy who cheated on me with his ex that he told me he was over her!" I say through gritted teeth. Blake opens his mouth to say something but gets interrupted by someone else. "Riles!" I whip my head and stare at this gorgeous boy. His features were very similar to Blakes' but he has greenish blue eyes and jet black hair.

A smile begins to play on my lips. "Sam!" I drop the bags and lungs towards my old kindergarten family friend. Samuel hugs me back and says, "Damn, Riles. You've grown! Last time I saw you was at the Christmas party 5 years ago." I nod my head in agreement. "Yup, I'm no longer pimple and brace face Riley!" I laugh.

"What are you doing here anyway?" I ask. "When dad and I got to your house your mom told me that you went out for groceries and I should pick you up. So here I am!" He throws his arms up in surprise. He walks over to my dropped groceries and picks them up for me. Sam packs them into the trunk of his red rover and I get into the passenger seat.

His car had the scent of vanilla and coffee beans. He gets in the drivers seat and turns on the engine. While backing out of the parking lot, in the rear view mirror I see Blake standing there awkwardly with his hands stuffed in his jean pockets. He turns on his heel and starts walking away.

"Riles, you okay?" Sam asks and I nod in reply. He purses his lips and turns on the radio. Closer by The Chainsmokers echo the vehicle. "Hey, Sam?" I turn to him. "Yeah?"

"You've changed a lot," I say. "Is it the clothes? I wasn't sure if the flannel was too much but it was really cold and-" I tune Sam out and scan his body. He was wearing dark jeans, plain white tee and a green and black flannel. He even wore a beanie on his head and he never wears hats! I noticed that he got an ear piercing on his left ear and a- "Babe, just take a picture. It lasts longer," he winks at me.

I laugh and playfully push his shoulder. The whole car ride back to my house it was filled with laughter, inside jokes, and childhood memories. This is the happiest I've even been since the Blake incident.

Sam parks the vehicle in the drive way and turns to me. "Long live our friendship!" He laughs and we do our traditional handshake. I pull Sam in for a hug. "I missed you, you big oaf." "And I missed you too, little munchkin." He wraps his arms around me and hugs me back.

As we're walking to my doorstep with the groceries Blake runs up and swings at Sam. "Blake!" I shout. Blake was punching Samuel like his life depended on it. I get into their fight and push Blake away. "Get off of him!" I turn to Sam who had a busted lip and a few bruises. "Sam, go inside. I'll take care of this." I wipe off some blood from his face. Samuel nods and heads inside.

"What the hell is your problem!" I stomp up to Blake and push his chest back. Blake didn't say anything and just glared at me. I continuously push him out of my driveway shouting profanities. His hard glare slowly turns into a regretful frown. "Just go," I mutter and head inside with the groceries.

By the time I got inside mom was bombarding me with questions about what happened to Sam. I'll I could say was, "Blake." Then I headed up to my room to sleep.