A Promise

[Noh's Point Of View]

I sit in silence and watch as the two persons in front of me enjoy their meal. As they eat the contents of their plates, they discuss and laugh about whatever topic they have chosen. I laugh along them whenever I deem necessary but the truth is, I have no idea what they have been talking about this whole time. There's only one thing in my mind right now and that is how to convince my pig headed boyfriend to speak to his father. You would think that was an easy job, right? Well, the truth was that it wasn't. I knew Phun very well by now to know how stubborn he was. It was very hard to make him do the things he didn't want to do. If I wanted him to go talk to his father, I would need to be very persuasive.

Suddenly, my mother's voice calls my name, shaking me out of my thoughts. "Noh? Are you really feeling okay? You have been very distracted today. Is there something bothering you? You can tell me about it." My mother asks me with a concerned voices as she places a hand on my forehead, checking my temperature. I shake my head and fake a smile, "I'm really okay, don't worry."

"Then why aren't you eating? Is there something wrong with the food?" My mother points at my untouched broccoli pasta and furrows her eyebrows. "I am eating!" I respond defensively and stab a broccoli tree with my fork, bringing it to my mouth to prove my point, "See?!"

They look at me in disbelief but decide to not push it any further and return to their previous conversation. Deciding that it's better to leave my thoughts for later, I join their conversation. "So what were you talking about? You looked like you were enjoying yourselves." I ask them as I start eating my untouched meal.

"Phun was telling me that he might be graduating by the end of this year. Isn't that awesome?!" My mother tells me excitedly and I choke on my food at the surprising news. "What?! Wasn't there supposed to be two years left?!" I ask my boyfriend as I drink from my glass of water, trying to swallow the food that had gotten stuck inside my throat.

"Well, that's true but I've been taking more classes than I am supposed to so my teacher told me that if I keep studying in this pace, I might graduate earlier!" Phun explains and I smile proudly. "That's awesome! You're getting closer to your goal! I'm so proud of you!" I pat him on the shoulder fondly and watch as his smile grows wider. Just how cute was he!?

"And you know what that means?!" He asks me excitedly. I rest my chin on top of my palms and wait for him to proceed, "That when I start working, I'll be able to maintain us both and you won't need to work no more!" I scowl and shake my head, "Oh no! Don't even think about it! There's no way I'm quitting my job to become a housewife!"

"But then we will spend less time together.." He pouts and I shrug, looking elsewhere. "Okay then! I'll make sure to get the night shift as soon as possible! I'll be able to spend the entire noon with you that way!" He winks towards me and I roll my eyes jokingly.

"And who said I want to have you in the house the whole noon?! Nah! It's too troublesome! You go to work! The less we see each other, the better for me!" I complain but the playful look in my eyes makes it known that I'm far from being serious. He decides to play along. "Ma.. Your son is being mean towards me! Can you please scold him and make him stop?!" Phun throws himself into my mother's arms and starts whining. Hey?! Since when is she your ma?! She's MY ma!

My mother embraces Phun and caresses his mop of hair protectively, "Aww, my poor child! Don't listen to him! He is just envious of you because you are going to get a degree and he won't!" What the fuck?! She's taking his side now?! Since when are they this close, anyways?! I send a glare to her way and cross my arms, "Aren't you supposed to take my side as my mother?!"