Riley

Being able to 'fit in' was never really possible for the Fritz

Being able to 'fit in' was never really possible for the Fritz. They were always different from other kids.

Rain tumbled down from the large oak tree. The sky was a smeared gray color and perfectly matched the atmosphere and mood given off. A child stood staring the engraved stones, her eyes dry and puffy. She didn't fully understand what was happening, being a child she was only beginning to grasp the fact of life and the unfairness of it. She was also never told anything due to her age.

A raindrop fell onto her cheek, streaming down onto her neck. People looked at her with pity as they walked away from the area, mumbling words to one another, careful not to let the child overhear anything.

The little girl stood reading the engraved words in the stone.

Robert Fritz
1956-1996
Father, husband and friend

Rebecca Fritz
1957-1996
Mother, wife and friend

She had read over the words so many times now that they no longer made sense to her. The girl heard crunching footsteps approach her over the sound of rain pouring around her.

"Royce, babes, we have to leave," her head perked up when she heard her sisters pained voice.

"We have to wait for Mommy and Daddy, Riley," She replied stubbornly crossing her arms over her chest.

"No, babes. Don't make this harder than it has to be. We need to go," Rileys voice was hoarse and raspy from all the crying and yelling she had been doing the previous days.

Royce whipped her head around to face her older sister,"No! They said they'd be right back! They said they'd be back in time to tuck me in!" Tears of frustration formed at the corner of her eyes as she yelled at her sister, "They- They said- They said-"

Riley shook her head while fresh tears streamed down her face. She quickly wiped the wetness away, for her sisters sake she had to be strong. The older girl made her way to her younger sister and sat down on the soggy grass, lightly pulling her sobbing sister into her arms.

"They said-"

"Shh, I know, babes," she smoothly rubbed her hand on Royces shoulder.

Royces entire body shook as her sobs escaped her mouth. After what felt like hours of whispering sweet nothings into her ears, she fell asleep, hiccuping against her sisters shoulder.

"We'll be just fine," Riley tried to convince herself, "Us against them. We'll be just fine," she repeated.

After all, this is as bad as it could get, right?