Quid Pro Quo

“Look I swear to you. I’m not here to kill you” Tuckett said from across the field.

“Heard that before” I mumbled as Arrow threw another knife towards the intruder.

Again, Tuckett merely stepped to the side easily deflecting it. He seemed to treat the knives flying past his head like flies, an unusual characteristic for a lowly tribute from district 12. Most tributes from the poorer districts have no combat training whatsoever, but Tuckett seemed capable enough.

“Believe me, I hold no ill intent. I want to join you” he walked towards us with his hands raised above him.

“I don’t trust him” I whispered quietly into Arrow’s ear.

“What do you want?” Arrow boomed while deliberately placing himself in front of me. He slipped his hand to mine and we intertwined our fingers.

“Look, I know where Bloom is hiding” he paused for a few seconds, seemingly contemplating the risk of stepping closer towards us.

“And” another pause. His face almost seemed pained to continue.

“I need your help to kill her” he sighed.

“We can kill Bloom ourselves thank you very much and quite frankly I don’t thin-”

“Scar…” Arrow murmured, cutting me off.

“No, Arrow” I hushed quietly.

“We don’t need him” I put my hands on my hips to reaffirm myself “we don’t need you” I spoke a little louder. Meanwhile Tuckett is standing there with a small smirk across his face. Maybe he enjoys listening to our banter, but I certainly do not.

“He knows where Bloom is” Arrow tried to remind me. I looked out into the night and truly saw Tuckett for the first time since training day. He had a tall dark frame and his whole body seemed incredibly muscular. It was hard to believe he was only about 14 years old.

“It’s true. I can help you. How do you think I’ve stayed alive during these Games? I have a huge following from the Capitol, especially from surrounding districts”.

“We don’t want your popularity” Arrow interjected, tightening his fingers around my knuckles. I knew Arrow well enough to know he was preparing for the worst situation possible.

“I can get you another bullet” Tuckett suggested.

Well, that changes everything.

“No you can’t, how could you possib-”

“How” I cut off Arrow, demanding an answer from Tuckett.

This would be the perfect way to kill Bloom. We could avoid direct conflict and essentially shoot her from a while away, never having to suffer another one of Bloom’s schizophrenic and psychopathic episodes. Aint nobody had time for that.

“First of all, peace. Let me come and sit with you. Before I come any closer I want you to remove the back-up knife from your boot, Arrow.” I smiled a little, feeling smug that he forgot about mine.

“You too, Scar.” Damn it.

~

My whole mind had been blown “wait what?” I asked quietly, desperately trying to keep from gasping.

“Yeah, Kalen is my best friend. I volunteered for him” Tuckett shrugged, pretending as though volunteering yourself in place of another was no big deal.

“Woah” Arrow sat back in his seat in complete shock.

“I can’t believe Katniss and Peeta’s son had been reaped” I whispered. I didn’t know about this, but then again, I didn’t really ask. I was more focused on my impending doom than finding out the background stories of my other tributes alike.