Trouble

(authors note: yeah, it's a bit short but nonetheless a very important chapter. The picture on the right is what I imagine the horse to look like, only a little smaller... I've been told you can only see it on a computer and not mobile... Make sure you Read, vote and comment!)

~

The next few days weren’t any better. I hadn’t seen or heard anybody and I was getting more and more anxious, as well as lonely. I was beginning to think I wasn’t even playing a game - I was just camping in a remote country land trying to chase chickens for food. I was pretty sure this arena had a whole lot of livestock.

I’m used to hearing horses neighing during the night and cows mooing too. It was no surprise about the many chickens that were roaming around the arena. It was their fault for wandering away from the cornucopia anyway.

I had no idea how to use weapons and I only had two knives to my name. So whenever I would spot a chicken I would start running after it, sometimes I would only have to run a short distance, and other times, it was embarrassing to admit how far I would run after them.

Despite my desperate attempts in catching food, the end result was always the same: I’d have to let the chicken go. I use to work producing chickens and harvesting their eggs back in district 10. How could I just kill one and eat it? What would my district think?

Each time I promised myself I would kill this chicken. I’d get my knife out ready to silence the incessant clucking, but each time, no matter how hard I tried, I would always let the chicken free. I bet the capitol found it hilarious when I stomped back to my camp ground, sulking while I had to eat my disgusting edible plants.

Three more people had died in the space of two days including the girl from eight, a boy from seven and another boy from six. I wasn’t surprised that none of the careers had died yet. That was just a typical hunger games for the Capitol. Arrow hadn’t died either. I was glad, because I wanted to kill him myself.

I looked up to the sky and noticed the sun was shining brightly in the middle. I loved the sun, it felt exactly like home. It also usually meant it was time for me to venture down my mini-mountain and to the river to fill up my water. Sometimes I would try to catch fish, but those attempts were even more embarrassing than the chicken events. Part of me really hoped the game makers chose not to show the whole of Panem my stupidity, but then the other part of me just knew they had made me the class clown. Or at least the hunger games clown. Whatever. 

I found it funny I was third on the list for people most likely to survive. Bet that’s changed now, huh?

I walked down to the river and I heard splashing. I stopped in my tracks. Oh no. I heard some sort of a shriek and more splashing. I turned to walk back up to my secret place but I heard another call. It sounded desperate, it sounded almost like a neigh.

I whipped around and ran down the rest of the hill. My mouth was open with shock as I saw a small horse about to drown. She must have been trying to cross the river but didn’t realise how deep it was. Without thinking I jumped into the river and swam over to her. She was now neighing in terror, trying to stay afloat splashing in complete alarm. She was making so much noise I knew had to get her out now or else we were both dead.

“Hey, hey” I tried to calm it with my voice. Its eyes were wide with fear and I had no idea how to save it.

“Shhh” I whispered to her. I tried to nudge my body weight into her back trying to push her out. She moved a little. She was huffing and puffing, trying to stay afloat. I had to give it to the young girl, she was a fighter. I pushed and pushed into her back until finally she could stand. As soon as she did she ran out of the water and into the bushes.