Assorted Sushi

I woke up more than half an hour earlier than I usually do. The rain was pounding nosily at my window and the cold seep in my closed room. Today I am taking the bus since the train is closed for maintenance. I took my breakfast which is beacon and hot coffee before I stormed outside carrying with me a black umbrella. This time I brought one. The road seemed slippery because of the rain and the clouds were heavy carrying more of it. It seems like a storm is coming.

I saw Hiro on the bus stop with his bag lazily hanging on his shoulder. He carried an umbrella and smoked his half consumed cigarette. When he spotted me he waved and beamed a smile. It seems like he has a great time last night.

"Seems like somebody is joining me in the bus today" He said as I reached him.

"Seems like somebody is really in a good mood"

He let out a big laugh. He seemed really happy. I never saw him this happy before. The eyes which were once a pool of sadness had almost disappeared. 

"I had dinner with Miki's parents." He finally said when he stopped laughing. "I felt she was there. We had good time. I had a good time"

Well I was glad he said that. No doubt that Miki must have been with them all along. Where else would she be? 

"I’m sure Miki must be happy too."

His eyes saddened but a soft smile crossed his face. "I hope she is"

The rain seemed to be pouring harder when the bus had finally arrived. There were a few passengers aboard and we took the two vacant seats behind the driver. The long drive started. The bus driver looked like a middle aged man whose head was already starting to grow bald. He maneuvered the vehicle careful because the road was slippery and the vicinity was not that good ahead.

I put on my headphones and looked out of the window. Hiro, who was beside me, was consuming a big sandwich which was perhaps his uneaten breakfast. I feel like the bus is too slow. I don't know how long it has been since we left the bus stop. Fifteen minutes perhaps or more. I didn't bother to check my watch. Knowing that this bus might take longer than I thought is disappointing. 

I was dozing off once in a while and my view in the window blurred until I drifted to sleep with the slow bus rocking me. I dreamed of a very vast city where I stood at the top of a tall building. The city was new to me. Boring gray buildings soared to the sky. There was a landscape of dead grasses. The city seemed empty. And then there was a cry. A scared cry. It was so loud. It felt so real. Then I felt a big impact that hit me. No. It was no longer a dream. The scream was no longer a dream. It was real. The next thing I knew I was losing consciousness. I didn't know what really happened but I know something was wrong. I tried to open my eyes to see what it was.

I saw people crying and girls screaming. I saw bags fallen and glass broken. I saw a man opposite our seat covered in blood and lifeless. In his window I can see a big truck. I look at Hiro beside me. He was there but his face was buried in his arms and his body was thrown in the ground. I was on the floor too with my back pressing against my seat. I felt my head hit something so hard. It must be the window when the truck had crashed to us. Shattered glasses covered me and I could see scratches and blood in my arms. 

"H-Hiro...” I tried calling him. There was no response. He didn't move. I could see how worse his situation is. 

My eyes blurred. I was going to lose consciousness. The last thing I saw was two pale hands caressing my face. A girl. A ghost girl. Miki. 

What happened in the bus was something that I still couldn't explain especially because I was asleep. But base on what I saw perhaps a crash between the bus and the truck happened. I do not know whose fault is it. The bus driver was running as slow as a turtle. It must be the poor vicinity that made such a ruckus in a rainy morning. 

The next thing I know was I was in a hospital bed covered in bandages. I was told it was already night time and I was told that none had died. That was a relief. I didn't know how Hiro was or the rest of the passengers were but hearing that none had died eased me. 

I was given medication and hospital food too and had checked up once in a while by various nurses and doctors. By the afternoon the next day I was released. But I didn't go to school yet. My parents were so worried and told me to rest for awhile. I did. Who would want to go to school anyway? This was my chance. I didn't hear any news about Hiro. My parents didn't know who he was anyway. 

During a sunny afternoon of Saturday, when the rain had passed and the accident had been pushed out of my mind, I made my way to visit the cemetery. First I visited Auntie's grave and then to Hanna’s. I brought flowers along with me. My dad decided to give them out for free to me now. 

Remembering the two pale hands that caressed my face, I visited Miki's grave. I knew she was that girl. I wondered if Hiro saw her. When I reached her grave, she was nowhere in sight. It had been a long time since I saw her. Did she finally go to the light? Or was she at somebody's side?

I put down the flower and let out a small laugh. This ghost is too troublesome. She was interesting. If she were alive, I'm sure we'd get along pretty well too. 

"You can see her, can't you?" 

Hiro.

I turned. He was there with flowers in his hands. There were bandages in his arms and his face was covered in scratches. I turned to look back at the grave and I saw Miki standing still wearing her uniform. Her hair being blown by the wind and a soft smile painted in her face. She looked peaceful as if she had moved on to the light.

"I can" I said. 

Hiro placed the flowers in the ground and said a silent prayer. 

"I knew you can see her ever since we first met." Hiro said. "I wish I could."

"She was always worried about you, Hiro" I said. "She was more than just your dead lover. She seems like she was your own angel."

"She is" He said with a sad smile on his face. "I was dozing off before the crash happened. Then I got startled with a scream when a lady saw the fast moving truck running down the hill that was about to hit us. I was looking at the window, wide eyed and scarred. Then when the impact hit, everything went slow motion. I was thrown in the ground. But I felt arms surrounding me and protecting me from the bags that had fallen and shattered glass. I could still remember the smell of sweet strawberry cologne. It was Miki."

I felt coldness run down my spine. I look at the ghost girl in front of me. It was her indeed. She beamed me the sweetest smile I've seen. 

"Hiro." I said. "Miki is standing right in front of us."

I looked at him and his face was tensed and his eyes were trembling. I look at Miki. She was tensed and shocked herself that I let Hiro know. 

"I will let you to have your moment" I smirked and turned and went away towards Hanna’s grave.

I didn't know if Hiro now can see Miki. They needed time to each other. They needed each other and I won't be the one to be a medium to them. I know Miki is dead and Hiro was somebody I recently met but I felt like I knew them all along. I felt like I had coffees with them. I felt like they had been my classmates. Everything changed. And all of these were woven into my life that changed me so well.

I get to accept Hanna again and I get to help somebody. I wondered if Miki can now move on to the light. She looks more translucent than before. I might miss her too. I could see Hiro standing still.  I don't know what was happening but I’m going to wait here for him.

I talked to Hanna as if she was there too. I do miss my best friend. I don't know how long had passed. Perhaps an hour. The sun was beginning to set. I was looking at how the clouds were floating and the sky slowly turning dark with a tinge of violets and oranges. Then a very strong wind swept across the cemetery and with it there was a voice so familiar to me that said, "Thank You"

I stood up and I saw Hiro standing near me wiping tears away from his eyes. I laugh at him. "So where do you want to go now?" I asked.

"Assorted Sushi sounds good" He simply said.