the dead, the living, the chosen

I was intrigue by her but my worries started to build up. That was a classic and I borrowed it in the library! What if it’ll be lost? Will there be a grave sanction for students who lost the properties of the school? I just hoped tomorrow, that the girl on the train would hand me the book if ever she found it. 

Before I went home, I visited our neighboring baker. They sell the most delicious delicacies and pastries. Ever since I was young, I was a frequent customer. The baker has two children. They are twins; one is a boy and the other is a girl. They are both my age. Doug was my best friend. He stopped school since last year and helped with his father’s business. He was a basketball player reaching the height of more than six feet. I was barely six. He was a funny man and known to crack pranks on people.

Dana was my childhood crush. I hate to admit it, but even today I had a huge crush on her and I can’t bring myself to tell her. She has the most beautiful eyes I ever seen. They were rich pool of brown. Her long hair swayed with every graceful step she makes. Doug was a rough boy while his twin was the most graceful being on Earth. She giggles and smiles a lot. She was the woman of the house. Their mother was dead even before the twin reached the age of five. I remember back when we were small when she would always go to my mother. She was looking for a mother figure. I heard she received a scholarship in West River School and will be transferring after summer break. I can’t wait.

I bid the twins goodbye. The baker wasn’t there. I never really knew his name. He was referred to as Baker. I took the one block walk towards my house as I was carrying a bag of delicacies. Doug said it was a gift to my parents.

I didn’t know I spent more than half an hour in the bakery. The bus pulled over in the stop. As I have said, it takes a full hour for the bus to arrive in our neighborhood. That is if the traffic was clear. It surprised me to see Hiro getting out of the bus and pulling a cigarette out of his jacket. He lit it and smoked his way near a local bar. Whatever that dude was doing, it isn’t helping him at all.

I hurried the next morning, hoping that I might see the girl on the train with the book on her lap ready to return it to me. As expected, she was sitting in her usual spot. I was relieved when I found that the book was in her lap. She saw me and smiled shyly.  There were a lot of passengers than yesterday but the seat was vacant next to her.

I raised my hands in greeting. “Hey, I –” She cut me off when she put her slender finger on her lips to signal me to keep quiet. I did. I sat down beside her and watched the people exit the train. Now on our compartment, were only an old man and two sleepy geeks.

She pushed the book to my lap careful not to touch me or anything. “Thanks” I mumbled.

“No,” Her voice was soft. Too soft. “Thank you for yesterday”

She turned to face me her eyes sparkling brown. Her face was pale like she hadn’t eaten for days but her lips shows a tint of pink. I didn’t know what I did for her and why she gave me gratitude.

“I’m Yano Redd” I said as I extended my hands to her.

She shook her head and simply smiled. “I’m Miki. Miki Rhae.”

“So you go to the same school as mine. Do you?” I asked as I tried to start a conversation.

When she didn’t reply I continued. “I saw you in the library yesterday and you seem awfully worried about Hi –”

“I’ll be going somewhere” She cut me off again. She stood up and went far away from where I was. I didn’t bother to chase after her. You know how girls are. They are just complicated beings. I never understood how they are.

During lunch, I escaped the company of Louis and went right up at the rooftop. Sometimes, I think he is gay. He was clingy and I often caught him flirty with some upper class man but at the same time he seems to be the heartthrob in class.