Chapter Eight: "I'm...Cole and you can just call me...Er, Cole."

Milu and I slept over for a couple of days, waiting for Cole to get better. King Seward let us rest in a private meadow, with his most dominant guards watching over us. I still felt a little uncomfortable, since I was worried they would just eat me in my sleep.

    I got to meet some of the bears that lived nearby. Some of them were nice, while some of them were jerks. I tried to say 'Hello' to a few of them, but they just growled and walked off. I guess they don't usually talk to their prey.

    My bite had completely gone away, which was good. I didn't want the bears in the den that Cole was in freaking out about me.

    I was grazing in the beautiful patch of grass while Milu rested. "Great place, isn't it Milu? More than enough plants since the bears don't even eat them!" I smiled.

    Milu nodded but didn't look at me. I didn't want to bother him, so I said nothing else. King Seward walked over to us with a comforting smile, and Milu got up.

    "Cole's gotten better now. I told him about who you two are and why you're here so that he won't be confused. Would you like to come and see him?" King Seward asked us.

    "Yes, please," Milu spoke.

    King Seward led us to where Cole was. I could see him sitting up, perfectly healed, talking to 3 other bears. I could see Rose, George, and some other adult Black Bear, all sitting down. It was female, so I assumed it was his mother. Rose turned, and her eyes widened when she saw me.

    "Mommy! It's the deer I told you about!" She pointed at me with her paw.

    The mother looked at me and strolled over. "So, you're Teofilo? That's a beautiful name. I guess you're the one that King Seward told us. I'm assuming you're here to see Cole, aren't you?" she asked in a warm and comforting voice.

    I nodded. "Yeah, I am. Is Cole okay with me coming, or is it too early?" I asked, worried that he might not even be comfortable meeting me.

    "Cole's fine with it. He's quite excited, to be honest," the mother chuckled.

    Milu nodded and led me over to Cole. We both had an awkward silence, neither of us knowing what to say.

    "Uh...Hi. I'm Teofilo, but you can just call me Teo," I said nervously, trying to break the ice.

    "Okay, Teo...I'm...Cole and you can just call me...Er, Cole." he sniggered.

    I giggled. Now I felt fine talking with Cole. I decided that I should explain the prophecy.

    "So, I got a prophecy from a Guardian, and you're the first one mentioned. If I remember correctly, it goes like this: 'Find the blackest bear that will light up the night, The wolf that clings on to the tree with all her might. Look for the fox that came from up above, The owl with the name that is spoken with love. The last of the ones found by the deer, Is the rabbit with the name of the trees that grow near.'

    I also had a dream of a bear, a wolf, a fox, a Barn Owl, and a rabbit. When I saw you, I knew you were the bear from my dream since you were small and—" I decided not to mention 'big feet' to be polite, "You, er...Were a Black bear."

    "Really? What did I do?" Cole curiously asked.

    "Well, you fought a demon off. You looked like you could've destroyed a boulder in one punch," I giggled.

    George rolled his eyes. "Of course he did," he groaned.

     "Cole couldn't do any of those things!" Rose squeaked.

    Cole whimpered and looked away. My ears flattened, and I felt sorry for him. Is this what siblings are like?

    "Yeah, I'd be amazed if he could even squish an ant. He's so pathetic!" George teased, but their mother growled, and the two immediately became silent.

    I frowned. "Are your siblings usually like this?" I asked Cole, looking at him.

    "They're always like this," Cole spoke solemnly.

    I had to stand up for him. "Well, that's why he's part of the prophecy and gonna be more famous than you two! You've been jerks to him, so that's why the Guardian didn't choose you!" I snapped. George and Rose looked taken aback, and their mother looked amazed.

    Cole smiled. "Yeah! I won't be teased anymore...Thanks, Teo!"

    I guess Milu was right; I would make a lot of friends!