19 || Just admit it

Începe de la început

"Even though she doesn't say it she doesn't trust me." Am I imagining things or is there a hint of bitterness in his voice?

"We have the whole day planned out!" Sophia says excitedly. "First we'll go to the park!"

"Then the beach!" Olivia pipes up.

"Then we'll get ice cream!"

"And watch the sunset, so we can draw it for class!"

"Sounds like fun," I smile.

"Sounds like a nightmare," Carter groans. He folds his arms and looks at his sisters as they chat excitedly about the day. "I love my sisters, but by the end of the day you'll be lucky to have not pulled your hair out.."

I scoff. "It can't be bad."

🌞🌞🌞

It is that bad.

So at the park Sophia wanted to try hanging upside down off the monkey bars. I of course immediately tried to stop this except while I was trying to ween her off that idea Olivia had climbed on top of the large slide and couldn't get down. She started shrieking and crying and Carter left to go deal with that mess. With no one watching Sheila she started running around wildly and chasing kids. She honestly meant no harm but we still received nasty looks from parents.

It took us an hour to round everyone up and when we finally did I was already done with the day. Sophia insisted Carter give her a piggyback ride to the beach. She would smack him upside the head and yell, "Faster horsey!"

I tried my hardest not to laugh but I couldn't help it. Carter shot me a glare and flipped me off.

We made sure they stayed by the shore and didn't venture to deep into the water. Here Sheila was free to run around and the girls skipped around splashing each other.

"How do you do it?" I ask him.

"Do what?"

"Deal with them twenty four seven!"

"I told you," he said smugly. "They're a handful."

"No kidding."

We sit and watch them play. I start to grow bored so I pick up a handful of sand and dump it in Carter's hair.

"Really?" He shakes his head.

I shrug. "I was bored."

He gives me a look. "You're lucky your cute."

For some strange reason my heart flutters.

"The beach is boring!" Olivia stomps over to us kicking up a sandstorm. "I want ice cream now!"

"Ice cream, ice cream!" Sophia chants.

I let Olivia walk Sheila by her leash but really, it's more like Sheila is walking Olivia. Sophia's tiny hand finds mine and despite her previous behavior my heart melts. She's too darn adorable.

"Aubrey?"

"Yeah?" I look down at her.

"Do you like my brother?"

I choke and immediately look up. Carter and Olivia are ahead of us so thankfully he didn't hear that.

"Carter is a very nice person," I manage to get out.

"Yes but do you like, like him?" She stresses.

"I-"

"Pick up the pace!" Carter yells. Sophia runs to catch up with them while my heart pounds erratically. I feel like I might have a heart attack.