Chapter Seventeen

Ruth, Nessa and I drive back to Anson House after we have been to see Dad. The sky has got grey now despite the promise of this morning and I shiver slightly. It looks as if it will rain soon and I know I should go back to the cottage so Jace, Kia and I can set off for Bristol but Ruth wants me to come in for a cup of tea and she has some bits and pieces that she wants me to take to Celia for her so I agree to a quick cup of coffee and then I’ll head home.

   Home, I think as we run up the steps to the warm house and I sniff the scent of Andi’s baking. This used to be home but now the cottage is the closest I have had to my own home for years and although it is a holiday cottage I am loathe to leave it, yet I suppose at some point I will have to ship my belongings from L.A and prepare for winter back in Porth Kerensa.

   Bryan is rolling all over the floor with Stevie and Stuart and I am reminded of how he and Leo used to play when they were little. He smiles at me my big handsome brother and the two boys run to be hugged by the three of us.

   “Where’s Susie?” Vanessa asks and Bryan flops on the sofa exhausted.

   “Rory came for her about two hours ago Nessa. Said she had a dentist appointment.”

   Vanessa frowns and sighs. “He’s always taking her off and spoiling her.”

   “Mom, I’m going to phone Jace and let him know I’ll be back soon” I say even as the phone rings. Ruth picks it up and I start to head into the kitchen to ask Andi for coffee but something in Ruth’s voice stops me.

   “Oh Jace hi, Jessie will be home with you in fifteen minutes. No Jace, she’s not here” Ruth says firmly. “No, I was at the hospital with Jessie and Nessa. No Jace we didn’t have her with us, I thought she was with you.”

   “Who?” I say puzzled and I walk back to the lounge where she is looking at me with concern.

   “No, I didn’t” she whispers. “Oh my God, no. Oh God no, Jace you better get here right now.” She drops the phone and looks at me with tears in her eyes. Before I can reach for it Bryan picks it up, listens then hangs up.

   “Jace is on his way over” he says and I look at him beseechingly.

   “What’s happened?” I moan. “Please tell me what’s happened?” But Bryan shrugs and I turn back to Ruth.

   Her voice is a whisper and I cannot believe she is telling me Rory has taken my daughter. Rory has Kia and Susie, and Vanessa and I are helpless. My eyes fill with tears as I shake my head and the sobs well up hysterically in my throat. My knees buckle and I sink to my knees rocking back and forth. God why didn’t I tell Jace Rory had been the one to attack me? If I had only told Jace he would never have let that slimy bastard take our daughter, whatever cock and bullshit story he came out with.

   Oh God I cry, and I sense Vanessa kneeling beside me and pulling me to the sofa while Ruth gabbles something about Rory at the hospital the day before, and I can’t stop the wracking sobs as I wonder if my baby is okay or if that brute is hurting her. Vanessa sits holding my hand and Bryan stands around not sure what to do as the three of us collapse knowing that Rory has the girls.

   “Had he been drinking?” Vanessa asks Bryan urgently and he looks at her puzzled.

   "I don’t think so. What’s going on?” he says and Stuart comes to sit with Vanessa.

   “Is Daddy going to hurt the girls how he hurt us?” he whispers to his mother and she shakes her head as Ruth hurries to us and picks him up to soothe him. I am as stunned as Bryan seems to be at the conspiracy of silence Rory Powell has weaved for himself and it sickens me. I stand up.