Chapter Seven

As the weeks pass I get used to only catching glimpses of Jace. College finishes for the summer and the rumour is that Jace will not be returning for the final year. I don’t know why, or if it’s really true, but I’ll be damned before asking him. When we pass each other in the hallways he puts his head down and walks past me. I think that hurts me more than anything else. He is supposed to be my best friend. I’m glad I have a six week break from seeing him try to avoid me.

   Lee has been back every weekend for five weeks. He has brought me phone numbers and names of useful contacts in the business. He takes photos of me to show agents and he fills my head with stories of what he could do for my career if I’d only consider leaving college early. He wines, dines me and showers me with compliments and presents. It is almost more than I can handle. I like him a lot but I couldn’t ever imagine loving him like I love Jace. Will anyone ever know me how Jace did?

   I wonder fleetingly how Jace is holding up. It is common knowledge now that Jason is dying. Celia told the regulars and the news filtered through to the rest of the village. Vanessa was upset that I have known all the time and not said anything. She doesn’t understand that it wasn’t my news to tell. I know that Jace will hate all the sympathy and advice that the people in the village think it is their duty to dispense. I remember the awful time when Leo died and Selina left. Jace had been the one to help me through and I wish he would let me help him.

Max Harper knocked on the front door of Vanessa’s bungalow. He could hear baby Steven crying somewhere in the house, yet no one came to the door. He knocked again louder but there was still no answer. Max hurried around the back of the house and peered in the kitchen window.

Steven sat in his baby chair screaming angrily. A kettle boiled on the stove and Vanessa was nowhere in sight. The back door was locked but Max knew there was a spare key hidden somewhere in the garden. He searched frantically and finally found it under a garden gnome.

   He ran through the bungalow looking for her, calling her name, fearing the worst. He found her lying unconscious on the dining room floor. His hands shook as he phoned for an ambulance and the surgery for Rory, or his father. He knelt down beside her and kissed her cheek and clutched her hand. She looked so pale.

   Tom arrived first with his black bag. He kneeled the other side of his daughter-in-law and checked her pulse and pupils. He straightened up and looked at Max with a smile.

   “She’s fainted and banged her head I think Max. We’ll get her into hospital for a check up but I’m sure she’ll be fine in a couple of days. We’ll run tests to find out why she fainted. She could be anaemic. To be honest I haven’t seen her at the surgery since her six week check up. I did notice she looked peaky and drawn when they came to Sunday tea though.”

   “Where’s Rory?” Max asked as he took Stevie from the baby chair and soothed him awkwardly.

   “It’s his afternoon off. I thought he was here with his family” Tom said almost apologetically. “I have no idea Max.”

   “I’ll call Jessie to come and look after Steven until we can find Rory.”

   Neither of them made any comment about the untidy state of the bungalow or the fact that Vanessa and Steven were still in pyjamas at two in the afternoon. They waited in silence for the ambulance.

Ruth drives us to the bungalow. The ambulance is just pulling off and Dad stands holding the baby. Tom waves to us grimly as he makes his way back to the surgery. Dad hands Steven to me and tries to smile.

   “I think he needs changing love.”

   “Max, take the car and go to the hospital” Ruth says gently. “We’ll deal with things here.” He smiles gratefully and kisses us all goodbye.