When Losing Someone Only Makes You Want To Scream

Paul

Percy has been back for a few months now. Still in school, his Junior Year.

Now, like Sally, I was married previous to our relationship. Unlike Sally, in the marriage I had kids. And they're Percy's age roughly, but I came from a small town in the Midwest. Minnesota. And yes, I do have the stereotypical Minnesota accent so shut up.

I moved to New York for the job offer at Goode so my two girls and my boy all stayed with their Mom. They didn't want to leave Minnesota, especially for the big city. Which was fine. That was about 6 years ago I moved here so I don't really get to see the kids. I flew out 5 years ago and after that timing wouldn't work and they got rid of the landline and I didn't have of their numbers and they never respond to letters or anything, so I haven't seen my kids in half a decade. The oldest, Alaya, would be 16. Jaydn the others girl, would be 14 now. And then lastly Zander would be 7 now. We were a year old when I moved out here and divorced Madeline.

But anyways, we had just gotten home from a swim meet of Percy's. Regionals. So that was exciting. It was about 8, we were about to have dinner, when somebody knocked on the door.

Sally and I just finishing dinner up, Percy offered to get the door.

And at the door was my ex-wife with my three kids.

"Hi," Madeline spoke," sorry to intrude, but I was wondering if there was a Paul here. Paul Blofis."

Percy is my kid and he shows it at times that he's also his dad's kid.

"What's it to you if he's here or not?"

"Please," Alaya spoke up," he's our dad, and this is the 27th apartment we've gone to looking for him. He lives in Manhattan, that's all we really know. An English Teacher at Goode High School."

Percy steps away from the door.

"He's in the kitchen."

My kids came running for me and nearly suffocated me, it was great.

"Now as much as I love all of you here," I told the three of them," what are you doing here?"

"You weren't notified about anything?" Jaydn asked me.

"About what? No."

"Mom gave up custody," Alaya explained," it wasn't totally random. She did ask us about it. Kind of lost her job and yeah... So we're here. If that's okay with you. We thought you knew. The judge told all four of us you were notified like a month ago."

"No, I wasn't told anything," I told them," but that should be fine. I don't see why it would be a problem."

Madeline told me like how they were doing as of if they needed medication, how they were doing in school, so on and so forth. If there were any issues, her number was on most of the legal files.

But she left and we all had dinner together and it was great. It was really nice to have all of my kids with me again and to have them get to meet Sally and Percy because they  weren't at the wedding. But they seemed to love Sally and Sally seemed to love them to death. Which was what I worried about most. If they wouldn't get along.

It was 3 AM when Sally woke me up and told me her water had broke, she was going into labor.

So all 6 of us rush to the hospital and Sally went in and I go in with her. Percy and the kids in the waiting room.

Percy

I can already tell they don't like me.

And I think it's because Paul likes me as a kid and treats me like his kid that they don't like me.