Chapter 24 - The New Alpha

Start from the beginning

Stiles threw a bottle filled with some kind of liquid at the monster, but he caught it with ease. The beast looked at the bottle in his hand, growing angry that it was thrown in the first place. I scrambled backwards until I met Stiles' legs. I didn't have the strength to get to my feet.

I looked to my left to see Allison's bow. "Allison!" I yelled. I grabbed the bow and tossed it her way. She caught it, quickly loading and firing it just as The Alpha was about to throw the bottle at her. The arrow struck the bottle, causing a small explosion and The Alpha's arm to catch fire. 

Stiles helped me to my feet and wrapped his arms around me. I sobbed quietly into his chest as he stroked my hair. He saved me. He may not realize it, but he just saved my life. "Thank god, thank god," he repeated.

Suddenly, I hit the ground, writhing in pain. Jackson had thrown the second bottle, sending The Alpha entirely into flames. I screamed, my body feeling as though it was on fire as well. It was a pain I had never experienced before. 

"Make it stop! Make it stop!" I begged. Stiles held me in his arms on the ground, unsure of what to do.

Peter stumbled around, the flames beginning to diminish. He fell to his knees, back in his human form. His body was charred and covered in burns. The worst of the pain had stopped for me, but my body was still shaking with an ache. I was too weak to even move. 

Everyone fell silent as Peter's body hit the ground. All that could be heard were my gasps for air as I sobbed. What was happening to me? It was supposed to be over. I should be fine. Unless...unless I really am connected to Peter in some way. If he gets stronger, then so do I. If he dies then...then so do I.

"Emma!" This time it was Eric who called for me. He knelt down next to me, stroking my face. I tried to smile at him, but even that was too difficult. He looked to Stiles. "What happened?"

"I don't know," he said. "It was like once Peter was burning she just started screaming,"

I looked to where both Eric and Stiles had turned their heads. Derek was walking towards Peter, his claws out. He was going to finish it. He was going to rip his throat out. He was going to kill Peter, which in turn, would kill me.

"No," I managed. The two boys looked back to me. "Don't...he can't..."

"He can't what, Emma?" Eric asked me.

I looked directly at Stiles. "I'll die,"

"W-what?" Stiles stuttered.

Eric understood what I meant. He had heard Peter's explanation for what I am. He had put it together. "She's connected to Peter because he's the one that bit her. If he dies..."

"So does she," finished Stiles, putting it together as well.

Eric stood up, taking a few steps towards Derek. "Derek, don't do this. You can't kill him. Emma...Emma needs him alive,"

Derek ignored him. I knew it was too late. He had already made his decision. It hurt to know that he cared more about revenge and power than he did about sparing my life. He's known me since I was born. We were friends. Now I'm going to die all because he didn't care.

He raised his arm, claws poking out from the tips of his fingers. I let out another sob. Stiles was looking at me. He lowered his head, nearing mine. He placed a soft kiss on my lips as I heard the sound of Derek's claws tearing Peter's throat.

   ☼ 

~STILES POV~

"No!" Eric yelled.