Chapter 12 - An Anchor

**disclaimer** I do not own anything from Teen Wolf

"Emma!"

I turned away from my open locker to see Allison rushing my way. Her dark curls bounced as she walked. She gripped her books tightly to her chest, and I couldn't help but notice a very distinct pendant hung around her neck.

"Hey!" She said, wearing a smile.

I looked at her skeptically. She's never talked to me outside of a classroom before, which means she must've been making some kind of effort to do so. It was just why that was beginning to make me nervous. 

"Hi, Allison," I said, forcing a touch of enthusiasm to my voice.

It's not that I don't like the girl, because I do, it's just that I don't quite trust her. I know her family history, and I know that her aunt nearly killed one of the few people that actually mean something to me in this town. Things like that make it hard to know whether someone is on your side or not.

"How are you?" She asked.

"Fine, I suppose," I said, glancing away. It was silent for a moment before I sucked in a breath and spoke again. "Do you need something?"

I was hoping that she didn't take my question as rude, because that's not how I meant it. I was simply curious as to why she would suddenly approach me in the halls, starting up a general conversation. It's not like we're that close of friends.

She looked at me as though she was somewhat appalled. I could hear her heartbeat quicken. It then slowed as she took down her facade. She glanced around the halls before saying, "You know something about mythological creatures, right?"

I couldn't help my eyes from widening. Did she know? Did she know that her boyfriend is a werewolf and that I'm his source of information on the subject? Why else would she ask me this?

"W-what?" I stuttered out, still nervous and in shock.

She turned her head slightly and her eyebrows twitched. "Lydia told me that your mom used to be the Mythology professor at the college."

I held in my sigh of relief. "Yeah, she was."

My heart stung slightly at the word 'was'. Everything is in past tense when it comes to my mother. Everything except she is gone. That's still happening.

"Emma," started Allison, "I'm sorry if I - "

"I know some," I told her, cutting off her apology. I swallowed the lump in my throat.

She looked at me, slightly taken back. Her mouth gaped open as she reached into her bag and pulled out an old book, fraying on the corners of the cover. She carefully flipped through the pages until she reached her desired one.

"I was hoping you could tell me more about this," she said. She took in a breath and began reading aloud. "The Beast du Gévaudan, a quadruped wolf-like monster, prowling the areas of France during the year 1764 to 1767. La Bête killed over a hundred people, becoming so infamous that the king Louis XV sent one of his best hunters to try and kill it. Even the church eventually declared the monster a messenger of Satan. 

"It is believed that La Bête was finally captured and killed by a renowned hunter who claims his wife and four children were the first to fall prey to the creature." Allison looked up from the pages to me. "His name was Argent."

I'd heard of La Bête before, but never the ending. He was one of the many monsters that roamed the earth all those years ago. Each culture had their own variation. For example, Greek mythology tells of Lycaon, a man transformed into a wolf after eating human flesh.