6: Impending

The Hospital smelled like disinfectant. Jaden could smell it clearly, even from silently sitting across the room from his other's hospital bed. It lingered around, as if reminding him that he was in a Hospital; it deserved a capital.

He sighed, his anxiety making his leg bounce up and down as if he was sub-dividing. One and two and three and four and two and two and three and four and*... it was almost endless. Jaden wasn't used to the scent of the Hospital, and he wasn't used to seeing his lover's skin so pale and lifeless, and he also wasn't used to seeing him needing fluids and having nurses and doctors and all sorts come in to tell Jaden that Yusei needed this, and that, and how they'll make sure everything was okay.

Everything wasn't going to be okay. It was just a standard proceedure to tell the patients and the people with them that everything would be fine. A precaution, in case on of them had a heart attack or a stroke due to the stress, and the relief that a trained professional told them that everything was fine.

Of course, when you knew that you and your lover were going to die due to the same illness before the trained professionals, nothing could of possibly have been okay.

But then, that could of been his fear talking. His ultimate fear of losing Yusei before he was gone, himhimse
The thought of death was accepted long ago, but not if his other half died first. Jaden would not allow Yusei to die before he did.

They had to die together. Jaden didn't want to mourn over his lost lover to then die to the same illness a few days later - and he certainly didn't want Yusei to do the same. It would be more painful than being left to die in the desert. There was no other pain like it, and although Jaden didn't know it from expierence, his heart twising in agony was enough to let him know that it wasn't anything he wanted to go through.

As these thoughts went through Jaden's mind, his gaze became unfocused and he couldn't hear the rustlng of sheets in front of him. The groan of his partner slowly shifting to a sitting position was also left unheard, and it took a while before Jaden noticed.

"Yusei!" He said abruptly, his entire gaze and posture dedicated to his lover.

"Jaden...you sound worried..."

Jaden couldn't believe what he was hearing. Of course he was worried! He was worried about both of them, both of their lives were at risk and it seemed as if Yusei had no empathy, just blatantly ignoring the fact he was Hospitalised-

But of course, Jaden took a moment to breathe. He shakily got up from his chair, dragging it over so he was as close as he could be to his lover. Before sitting back down, Jaden adjusted Yusei's pillows and made sure he was comfortable.

He then took his hand, staring into a sea of innocence as he looked at Yusei's eyes. Jaden felt a small surge of reassurance course through him, and he managed to smile. The thought of the Hospital smell was slowly fading, and the idea that they wouldn't die together was being stashed to the far corners of his mind.

"Of course I'm worried...look where we are..." Jaden finally responded, his voice soft after calming down.

There was a large pause before Jaden heard a reply from his other. Yusei had taken time to look at his surroundings, noticing the tube he was forced to wear so he could breathe, and even staring at his pale complexion.

"...I know we're in a Hospital, but...I didn't think it was this bad."

Jaden wanted to scream. Of course it was bad! They were both near death, practically touching the shallow waters and about to plunge into the deep end. Any moment now, they would take that risk and plummet to the bottom of the sea. And Jaden was sure that they wouldn't last in those waters for very long.

"Yusei, we're dying."

"Why aren't you in a Hospital bed, then? You've had this sickness for longer than I have."

"I don't know! Maybe they haven't noticed yet!"

"You look about as pale as I do, Jaden."

Jaden would of had a comeback for that, if it wasn't for the nurses walking in the door with a tray of medicine. He shut up as he let the nurses bustle around Yusei, handing him some pills and a cup of water.  All Jaden could do was stay quiet and stare. He wondered if he would of been in the same state if they knew he had the disease, too. There was no doubt in his mind that he would be, but he wasn't so sure if they'd even let him see Yusei.

He gulped and waited for the nurses to leave before speaking again. It took them a while to leave, and when they finally took their trolley of medicine out of the room, Yusei was the first to talk.

"I want you in the Hospital, too."

"What?" It was as if Yusei had said something foreign; as if he was speaking Latin.

"I want you in the Hospital, too. Jaden, there's no denying that we're sick. If...if we can at least get some form of treatment to help soothe the illness or to make it less unbearable-"

"I don't want to end up in a Hospital, Yusei. I don't like seeing you like this. The same thing would happen to me and I-" Jaden gasped a little, finding it hard to breathe. Was the air always so thick in here?

He coughed and held his chest, feeling his heartbeat rise immensely as if it was trying to get to a point where it killed him. Jaden fell over in his seat and tried to regulate his breathing.

"Jaden, are you okay?! JADEN?!" Yusei's cries weren't left unheard. A nurse soon came into the room, noticing Jaden's sudden struggle to breathe.

Jaden could hardly think. He couldn't breathe. His heart was going too fast. His vision was blurring and he was falling in and out of consciousness.

He couldn't even hear Yusei's screams anymore.

-----
*Sub-dividing is usually a term used for counting when you play music. It helps keep you in time.

--- Kura-chan ---