The Hunger Games: The Triumph of district 2

• Dedicated to Harry Reader

It was a chilling morning, the cold managed to slither its way into the last safe place in this deluled world controlled by the capitol, my bedroom. this is the 74th hunger games and it is my turn to volunteer, that is how our district goes, every year the oldest children in the district have to volunteer as tribute, even if our name is picked; cato also has to volunteer, he has trained with me for as long as i can remember, he is strong and ruthless and never backs down from a fight. his hair is a dark blonde with a short cut and his eyes are a dark brown, it is tragic knowing that one of us will die leaving one of us alone . I am going to try and win this to prove to my parents that i am useful and not just a waste of space, they always treat me as a last resort and refuse to show there love to me, they said that it was because my trainer; named darrel, told them that restricting affection towards me will drive me to do better.

I do not believe in such tragedy.

as i leave my room to go training, i see my parents talking to my trainer, "she will fail you, she is not strong enough to face what is ahead of her" i hear darrel sigh. my parents are plain faced, almost as statues; looking into each overs eyes like they were expecting for this to happen. "what should we do?" my mother asks him. "say your goodbye's, because she's is never coming back...'" he leaves the house without saying another word. I walk back upstairs and run to my bed, my friend, my only safe haven that can stop my flowing tears in this sickly driven world. As i reach my bed the tears release like a downpour in an autumn evening. "why can i not leave this hell hole of a world?" was my tears fall to the bed, i fill with rage and hatred. "i will show them who i really am, the capitol shall have there victor and it will be me..."

When i finally get to the training center, i am spotted by Merrick and his friends "aye aye, here she is, are you worried about later you little wuss" his face is filled with confidence. Merrick is my worst enemy, we hate eachover; there is no one i would love to ser dead more than Merrick. "no actually, im really excited" i said trying to boast, i was trying to look stronger than i actually am, so he laughs and says "cant wait to see your face on that stage" . "see darrel, this training system never comes close to attacking me, im too good" i said; extremely proud of myself. "yes but if you remember your training, you are supposed to get them as close to the heart as possible, you keep on missing, look for yourself if you need proof" he says disappointedly as he walks away to see cato, who has always believed in me; no matter the circumstances. i walk over to where i hit the moving target dummy, i missed the heart by a mere inch, which is quite miniscule compared to some of the other people i have seen here, i turn around to see cato training with darrel. A swords battle i'm guessing, cato's swing is so powerful; even with a really heavy sword, i could never handle a sword properly. But i am accurate with my throwing knives, these are my strongest position, cato always says that i have the steadiest arms in district 2; it always gives me hope, even if im told otherwise, i trust cato with my life, he is like the brother i never had.

After a few hours of training there was a tanoi, announcing something unexpected."Attention everyone, there is to be a fight to the death in the practise arena; i know we have never done this which is why you are all skittish, we will hold the draw for the two competitors during the lunch hour, thank you" oh great, i think to myself... More death and fighting for everyone to witness. "wait... What if its me? Or even worse, cato" i keep on thinking about what could happen if i was to be picked... Im going to die before i even volunteer as tribute. That will really please my parents.

Afew hours passed and i am sat next to a young girl with small ponytails and a rather small nose. We are all watching the screens for the two competitors of this bloodbath. Suddenly, i get a sharp piercing feel at the back of my neck, it cato with his hand around the back of my neck, "are you ok clove?" he asking in a concerning tone, he push's the young girl off of her seat and takes her place as i reply saying very quietly "yeah im ok... You?"