16A & 16B

"Welcome aboard, Cathay Airways!" The chirpy ground staff greeted Maine as she showed her boarding pass.

"Ms. Mendoza, I think your ticket might be mistaken. Let me just confirm with my manager." Maine's face turned red, slightly embarrassed that she was causing a mishap of some sort. After a few seconds, the chirpy ground staff got back to her and said, "Hi, it seems you've been upgraded to Business Class. This is your new boarding pass, and have a safe flight."

This isn't a bad start for her big move. Getting upgraded to business class, when she bought her economy class ticket on promo. Her family is one of the richest families in the Philippines, probably a member of the one-percenters, but she has always been frugal being a daughter from the second family of a businessman tycoon. Her mom is the second wife of Teddy Mendoza, and her mom has always been a private and frugal woman choosing to live outside of the society pages and elite circles. Being the second wife, she just wanted to avoid gossip and rumors from tabloids and other socialites.

Because of this, she chose to settle in New York with her two children with Teddy when Maine turned 12. She wanted to send Maine and Dean to a public school so they get to live a normal life, but of course, Teddy insisted otherwise. With this compromise, Teddy bought a three-bedroom apartment in Chelsea, and sent Dean and Maine to Horace Green Prep for high school. When Maine turned eighteen she moved to Pennsylvania and took up Communications in University of Pennsylvania. She insisted in staying in a triple dorm with shared bathrooms, but her dad insisted that she get her own apartment instead.

"Hi Ms. Mendoza, welcome aboard to Cathay Airways! I'm Ria, your inflight service manager. Your seat is in 16B. If there's anything you need, we'll try to get it for you. Enjoy!"

As Maine settled on her seat, the guy standing on her aisle began to speak.

"Hi, Miss. I'm in 16A," he said out loud. But Maine couldn't hear him well because she was listening to The Calling on full volume. "Hi, Miss. I'm in 16A," he said a little bit louder this time. 

"Oh, whoops! Sorry." She stood up, so the guy in the white v-neck and stubbles on his face could sit down comfortably. The same inflight manager, Ria, went back to their seat, and this time, approached the guy in the white v-neck.

"Mr. Faulkerson, it's so nice to see you on this flight again. Per usual, compliments of TM," she said. "Ms. Mendoza, feeling comfortable?"

"Got upgraded?" Maine spoke.

"Weirdly, yes." He responded.

"How is it weird if "TM" upgraded you? And you seem to be a frequent flyer."

"I haven't been working. I just graduated and finished college, so I haven't seen TM in a while. I actually just booked my flight using my miles. You?"

"Well, I was upgraded. Luck I guess?"

"I'm RJ Faulkerson, by the way."

"Maine... Capili."

"So what brings you to Manila, Maine?" RJ asked to continue the small talk.

"I'm actually moving back. I'm starting a new job. I lived in New York since I was twelve, and now I just want a fresh start. I start work in three days, and my sister is getting married on Saturday. What about you? What did you take up?"

"Congrats to your sister. Film in NYU. It's something I've always wanted to do. I wanted to take a break from Manila, so I pursued my studies elsewhere. Less distractions. Now I'm ready to work again."

When the plain took off, Maine started to fall asleep, while RJ just watched movies on the entertainment system. He was intrigued, he was so sure this girl was more than what she tries to show. There was something unassuming with the way she carried herself, innocent and simple.

***

"Ladies and gentlemen, we are making our initial descend to Ninoy Aquino International Airport. Thank you for flying with us, and we hope to see you again. Cabin crew, cross checks please," the pilot with the british accent spoke on the speaker.

Maine began to wake up and rubbed her eyes.

"Sleep well?" RJ asked.

"Yes. Did you sleep?" 

"A little bit. Couldn't stand your snoring," and he winked.

Maine laughed and slightly slapped RJ on the arm.

"I'm joking, Maine! I didn't sleep. Trying to fix my jet lag, I start work tomorrow morning. Well, it's been a nice thirteen hour flight, and I hope to see you soon. Good luck with your new job, and congrats to your sister again."

"You too! Uhm, RJ. I hope you don't mind. Only if you or... maybe your friend... girlfriend... doesn't mind... I actually kind of need a date to my sister's wedding. Not a date, date. I just need to bring someone... on Saturday."

RJ was quiet for a while and before speaking, Maine already cut him off.

"Nevermind, it's a stupid-"

"I'd love to."