Chapter Ten

This banner is beautiful! Thank you so much HajraS8 for this (:

Word Count: 1923

~Lexia

I lay back on the exquisitely comfortably bed that I have recently claimed as my own, staring at the ceiling. Becoming accustomed to the fact that this Pack requires many to not wear clothes to escape the relentless heat is hard, but I am seriously considering joining.

Luckily for me, I notice, as I stare out the open window, that the sun is on a straight course to set behind the horizon.

I was almost dozing off, when a strange skittering sound had my eyes shooting open. Looking at the floor, I notice the tiniest pebble laying there, its origin unknown. Frowning in confusion, I crawl off the edge of the bed, picking up the strange rock. Am I imagining things, or is Jasper playing with my mind again?

Suddenly, another rock appears, but this time I catch it fly through the window straight toward me. I yelp as it hits me square in the jaw.

Furious, I stride to the window, ducking my head out. A whole floor down, on solid ground, Grayson stands, a decent sized rock in his hand. Before he notices me, he hurtles at the window. Instead, it misses, crashing against the side of the wall right by my head.

"Are you crazy?" I yell, having greatly flinched out of the way of the rock. Grayson watches the segments of broken rock tumble back down to earth sheepishly.

"I needed your attention," he yelled back, his voice carrying easily up to the window. I roll my eyes, planting my hands on the window sill so I wouldn't go tumbling out.

"There would be know no attention to be had if you had knocked me unconscious!"

Grayson, despite the situation, lets out a little chuckle, as if it's the most entertaining thing he's witnessed, but he's trying to keep it in. Even I find myself smiling a little.

"Sorry, I was trying to be romantic" he tells me.

"I suppose you want me to come down there?" I say. I'm not scaling the side of the house, if that's what he's thinking. My bones being intact appeals to me too greatly.

Grayson shoves his hands in his pant pockets. "That would be nice."

Sighing, I slam the window shut, but then opened it again after realising how stuffy my room would be when I got back.

Before I left, I checked myself in the mirror. I've never felt this self conscious and nervous about seeing someone. I'm usually so confident and sure of myself around people. But the way Grayson looks at me strips down every wall I've put up instantly.

When I walked outside, Grayson was leaning casually against the side of the greenhouse, holding the stem of a brilliant yellow flower. I narrow my eyes at him as I wander closer.

"Good evening," he greets, holding the flower out that I can't identify toward me, which I assume is something native to the tropical climate here. Taking hold of it, I give him a soft smile of appreciation. Someone is trying a little hard.

Grayson links around his arm around mine. "I wanted to talk to you."

"About?"

He guides me down a narrow dirt path, that leads deeper into the garden. He glances down at me as we walk. "Us."