Chapter 9: Unraveled

Blank stare.

Surprise written all over his face in a language I can't understand, can't read.

He doesn't say anything. He doesn't say a word, but I know what he's thinking.

How could I know already? Is this baby even his? I worry my fingers in my lap, letting my tears spill and fall, letting myself become unraveled in front of him as he thinks and debates what words he should say.

It seems like it's been hours, when in reality it's been just a few short moments, a few short minuets and seconds, a passing glance of time.

"Are you sure?"

I can only nod my head, covering my face and turning my body away from him.

At first he doesn't do anything and I am stiff, unsure, and anxious, but then I feel his arms wrapping around me, pulling my head to rest in the crook his neck, letting my tears fall onto his skin, cold and wet and fearful.

Hands are running through my hair. "How do you know? Did you take a test? You're sickness has come on pretty soon..."

I try not to be upset, he's just voicing his concerns.

"I- I missed my period a few days after, the sickness always comes fast in my family." I try to explain the best I can and hope that my secrets do not unravel in front of him, do not open up and throw themselves at him, scaring him away.

"It will be okay. We will figure something out."

I don't answer and he sighs before pulling back, wiping my tears. "Let me take you home. You should rest and I need to think some more."

In my head I cant help the thoughts that are running loose. He won't want to see me again. He thinks I'm crazy. I worry my bottom lip, biting and stressing it until it's puffy and he's pulling up to his house. "You said you live nearby?"

"Yes. But I can walk. It's not so far."

I try to exit the car, but he gently pulls my arm. "I don't want you walking alone in your condition."

Condition.

I know he didn't mean it hostilely, but it rubs me the wrong way. "You mean while pregnant."

Emotions running high, running wild.

Eyes glaring, tears blurring.

A hand taking mine, keeping me from falling apart in a moment of weakness, running up and caressing my cheek, thumbing off the streaks of wetness. "I don't want you to hurt yourself."

He's making me lose myself in him with a few motions, a few words.

A kiss is pressed to my lips, soft and sweet before he's pulling away. "Let me drive you home."

I bite my lip so hard I think it could draw blood. "Okay."

He pulls off and I direct him down the street, around a bend, and down another long graveled road that is wild and rough, just like my people, my family.

"You can drop me off here." I say before he gets too close to the packs main roads, main houses.

"I told you already Robin. I don't want you-"

"I snuck out though. I can't let my family know that I've been gone. Remember?"

Eyes pleading and pleading for him to drop this.

He sighs again and grasps my hand tightly.

"Message me. I will see you soon." A harsh kiss is pressed into my mouth and I'm out the door, sneaking off as he pulls away, sneaking back into my bedroom window.

My father is waiting, sitting on the edge of my bed, arms crossed.

The thin lines of calm collection are starting to pull taught and rip, to break with a snap as I watch him smelling my scent.

I don't say a word as the edges of my being are unraveled at a glance. "A human."

I give no response.

"Tell me Robin. Why do I smell a human on you."

I still don't answer, but I start to back up when he rises, closing in on me, scaring me.

I start to shake at the furry coming off of him in waves. This is not a side to my father I thought I would ever see.

"My own daughter. My flesh and blood. Have you been breaking the rules all along? Is that a humans child in your belly!" His face is red and I start to cry. My life, my world, unraveling in a single breath.

"It's not his daddy." I'm whimpering and crying, wanting to scream.

"Your lying to me Robin! How dare you lie to me! How dare you-!" But he's broken off before he can touch me, before he can block me against my bedroom walls and I'm crumpling to the floor in a crying heap as my mother berates him.

"Don't speak to our daughter like that! If I were her, I wouldn't want to tell you the truth either!" She continues on until he's out the door and she's holding me, rocking me.

"I'm sorry mommy."

"Don't cry anymore baby. It will be okay. Your situation just hits close to home for him."

"What do you mean?" So many unanswered questions with this family and this is another one because I'm told not to worry about it and to let the subject drop.

I go to bed that night broken, not able to pull myself together without Callum's touch, with out his skin soothing mine.

I can't see my life's path anymore. I don't know what to do and my strings don't feel as though they will ever ravel back together, will ever reattach themselves to make me whole again.