People Don't Just Go Missing

"I'm outside"

"Okay, I'm coming now"

I grinned wildly at myself and shakily slid my phone back into my jean pocket. As I frantically searched around my bedroom for my black duffer bag filled with clothes, I unconsciously brought thoughts back to Cyra, and how she had told me and Remi that something was coming. Sure, Remi didn't believe her crazy talk one tiny bit. However, it did make me very curious of what she was talking about. I mean, I had felt the strange feeling in the pit of my stomach earlier too. That scared me more that anything, it was so real, so vivid; yet distant and a far off rumour at the same time. There was no mistake that something was off.

I shook my head, refusing to let myself actually begin to believe the nonsense Cyra had told us. She was probably messing around, the PrankWars we started three weeks ago were still on so it made sense. I flung the bag over my right shoulder, causing an aching to grow. My arms were already weak from physical-education at school, it was basketball day and I played until I couldn't even walk. Though, now that I think about it, Cyra hadn't even turned up for last lesson. I shrugged and sighed, trying to focus my mind on to game night and, my dad. It was going to be perfect and nothing was going to ruin it.

"I'm leaving now mum!"

I called, clumsily stomping down the staircase. As I came to the last few creaking steps, an eerie and unknown feeling surrounded me. It trapped me between its large claws and pulled me right toward it. All of the lights were switched off and, what I hadn't noticed until now was, my entire house had been unmistakably silent. My family definitely didn't have plans for tonight, and if something had changed I would of known.

"Mum? Maxie?"

The duffer bag slowly slid off of my slumped shoulder, creating an awfully loud thud on the dusty hallway floor. My squinty eyes scanned the room for a sign of anything, and they soon caught a glimpse of something out of place on top of the kitchen island. Once I moved a little closer toward it, I realised it was a freshly sharpened butchers knife. Without hesitating, I scooped up the handle and continued tiptoeing around the seemingly empty house.

"Is anyone home?"

I quietly yelled, unaware that I was actually completely alone. I automatically assumed a murderer had secretly entered and killed my family, or that they had been abducted, kidnapped. Anything in the world could of happened and I didn't even try to help them. I hadn't heard screaming or bangs or anything that could suggest there had been another person inside. A thought slipped into my head, making me stupidly drop the knife and run to the front door, swiftly unlocking it and bolting straight outside.

"Dad, somethings wrong. Mum and Max are-"

I panted, but soon stopped in utter terror. All that stood outside was an empty blue sports car with the same licence plate as my dad's. The doors were slightly opened and the keys were in the rumbling in the ignition. Dad had been here before, but he definitely wasn't here now.

"Daddy? Mum? Is anyone even out there?"

I gulped back the urge to break down into tears. If there was one thing I knew I had to do, it was to be strong and think logically.

"Think, Blythe. Think!"

I pulled out my phone. My uncontrollably shaking hands began to dial 999. What was I going to say when they picked up? Everyone was missing. People just don't go-