Chapter 1 - Michael

Comincia dall'inizio

The climb is the easy part, the result of strong muscles combined with years of practice. With four older brothers, a girl is bound to learn how to get by. When I get to the branch at Connor's room, I sit on it sideways, with the window to my right. I lock my legs firmly around the branch, and I swing to the right with the intent of grabbing on to the windowsill. But then my foot gets stuck between two smaller intertwining branches

"Shit!" I cry out.

It's too late for me to catch myself, and I end up dangling with my foot painfully wedged and twisted to the side. This only fuels my anger and desire to have revenge, and the pain becomes a distant feeling in the back of my brain.

Without thinking twice about it, I use my lodged foot to swing myself back up and then break the part of the branch that's keeping my ankle tied. Sometimes, having werewolf super strength is awesome. Okay, it's awesome all the time, but still; on War Day, it's a big bonus.

After freeing myself, I change tactics by sitting on the branch while facing the window, using the back of my knees and my hands to hold myself. Swiftly, I swing backwards with more ease this time. My speed again gives me an advantage. I spin so fast that a second later, my hands come in contact with the edge of Connor's window. I immediately let go of the branch.

I am so focused that I don't feel anything; not the way the wood bites into my skin and tears my pajamas, nor the fact that my ankle is starting to throb. When I am done with my mission, I can think about the rest.

Once again, climbing is the easy part, especially with my strength. Seconds later, I am standing in my brother's room, feeling rightfully smug. I know exactly what I am going to do to him. Instantly, I go to the first drawer of his bedside table where I know he keeps his phone. He only grabs it when he leaves the house or when his girlfriend comes over and takes possession of it.

The screen flashes and demands his password, which makes me hesitate for a second. Connor changes it almost every week because of me. What can it be this time?

I try the old one, just in case; 6764, the letters NPNG, which stand for "no pain, no gain". All of my brothers are so obsessed with their muscles. It's ridiculous. The password doesn't work, though, and I have to stop and think for a moment.

What's Connor more obsessed with than himself lately?I wonder.

A smirk plasters on my face when I figure out the answer and type 26627. The irony of it makes my plan seem even smarter and more perfect. The screen unlocks immediately. I dive for the door to take a peek out and make sure no one is upstairs. Then I close and lock it.

The third drawer in his dresser is my next target, because that's the one his current girlfriend, Sandra –or is it Kendra?– uses nowadays. I feel disgusted at what I find in there, because it just confirms how often Connor's girl spends the night. After much searching, a grimace on my face, I thankfully find what I am looking for. I'm pretty sure it can fit me.

Hastily, I take off my sweatshirt and unwrap the custom-made bandages I have been wearing since I was thirteen, along with the shirt that hides the edges, and which I use to conceal my obviously feminine chest and make it look, as well as feel, flat.

I don't wear bras, for obvious reasons. But if I ever want to try putting on a pair, just to get a feel of what it's like, I would never in a million years have chosen something this lacy or pink. Looking at myself in Connor's mirror, I am surprised by how well they fit me, and how hot I look in them.

My dark brown hair, which I've kept short over the years, is pretty disheveled, considering I just woke up. It's sticking up in a pixie-like hairdo, which looks weirdly cute. Although my eyebrows are as full and messy as can be, my face retaining the peach fuzz I was born with, my skin looks smooth and glowing. My torso is usually hidden, but right now, with nothing but the bra and my boy sweatpants on, one can plainly see the curve of my waist and chest, and the thinness of my stomach.