What's Happening To Me?

Why couldn't you sleep? This was the first time you've had your bed to yourself in a while and yet... You sigh turning over again to look at the clock. An hour until you had to get up for school. It would be pointless to fall asleep now. You get up and get ready before turning off your alarm clock and heading to the kitchen. You open the fridge finding all the snacks gone except for a few of your favorites.

It was like Kid was never there, but you knew his presence was missing. You grab one of the snacks and start your phone to check if you had any messages. Only the one from Law telling you to have a good night. You sigh again and message him, asking him how training was. A few moments later he calls.

"Morning Law, how's your morning so far?" You ask when you answer.

"It's fine... What are you doing up already? Something wrong?" He inquires.

"I never went to sleep, I tried but...." You frown looking around.

"Was it Kid?"

"No, I think he's staying with Killer now." You respond.

"You don't sound that relieved."

"I... Guess I got used to him being here..."

"Well I'll be over soon and then we can go to school together."

"Alright, see you later."

He shows up twenty minutes later and you both start to school. Something still nagged at you. "You want to tell me something?" Law asks with a head tilt when you glance at him again.

"Kid told me a story yesterday... It keeps coming back and it... It really bothers me." You admit looking down. Law blinks and puts his arm around your shoulders.

"Tell me the story." He says softly.

"There was once a man whom claimed to love a woman. He was always so sweet to her, holding her hand, kissing her without shame. Then one day a monster came to kill them. They fled together but when the man realized he couldn't escape, he tripped the woman and left her to be killed by the monster. Sacrificing her for his life that shouldn't have mattered without her." You recall easily. Every word had stuck, even the small part when Kid admitted to being the monster.

"That's a sad story.... No wonder it bothered you... Being betrayed by someone that had claimed to love you.... I can't imagine why someone would do that.." He frowns looking down as well before looking at you. "If she had had a best friend I think they would've beat everyone's ass." He nudges you, making you giggle.

"Yeah, I believe that." You relax hugging him. He rubs your back as you both reach the school.

"I hope you have a good day at least." He breathes.

"Right back at you..."

"Hey." Kid greets at the door to your first class. "You look exhausted, what time did you go to bed last night?" He tilts his head curious.

"I didn't..." You murmur, shoulders drooping slightly.

"Really? Why not? I thought you'd be happy to have your bed back." He comments, making you look at him. You didn't know how to respond so you brush past him, checking the overhead to see where your seat was. You pause seeing your partner's name.

"Kid, We sit together," You tell him sitting down.

"I know, that's why I was waiting for ya." He rumbles sitting beside you. He seemed to be in a better mood than when you last saw him, and you were grateful. Class soon began and you were trying to pay attention but...