Chapter 23: Filled With Hope

It's been 2 hours since I seen Mitch. They made me go home considering I was there for 5 hours, holding his hand. When I get to the apartment, I realize that Mitch had the keys. I walk down to the lobby.

"Hey Greg, can you give me an extra key to Mitch's apartment? No reason."

I ask Greg, sitting at the corner.

He nods his head and hands me a small key. I step in the elevator and press the number 12. I stand there waiting for what feels like an hour. Finally, it dings and I step out. I open the door and look at the ground. There was still the bullets and guns on the ground. I close my eyes and smile. Then, I grab my phone and call everyone at the houses. Everybody was busy, or didn't have enough money to get tickets here. The only people who were able to come were Sadie, Jerome, Emily, and Joseph. I give them the address to his apartment and turn off my phone. I lay on the bed and sigh. I pull my hair from my face with my hands. The stress of everything was killing me. Then, I remember, Mitch's parents... They're gonna be devastated. I grab my phone and dial their number. I hold my breath for a short while and his mother picks up.

"Hello Mrs. Hughes on the line." She says.

"Hello? This is Kelly. I have some bad news.." I begin.

"Bad news?" She asks.

"Yes. Mitch has been hit by a car, trying to save me from it. Now, he's in the hospital. The doctor's say he's in a major concussion, and he needs surgery for his arm.." I say, starting to cry.

"Oh my goodness! Is he going to get the surgery? The hospitals around here don't have enough of his blood type!" She shouts, worried.

"Yes. The doctors said they don't have enough of his blood. But, I donated some. I have the same blood type.." I explain.

"Oh my.. Thank you so much. Will you tell me what hospital he is in dear?" She asks.

"Carter Hospital." I say.

"Thank you dear. I need to tell my husband. Goodbye." She says.

"Bye." I say, hanging up.

I stare at the ceiling for the longest time. I start to get sleepy and look beside me. Empty. No one to sleep beside. Then, I doze off, with a tear running down my face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wake up to the doorbell ringing a million times. I get off the bed and answer the door. I see Sadie, Jerome, Emily, and Joseph standing with their suitcases.

"Guys.." I say.

"Oh my god, I can't believe what happened.." Emily says, walking up to me for a hug.

Sadie does the same. I look at Jerome. This must be hard for him. It's his best friend... I invite them in and they set down they're stuff in the guest rooms. I look at the time. 8:02 PM. I probably should have some dinner. I look 5 burger patties on the pan. Then, I put them in buns and add toppings. I hand them out to the group. I sit at the counter and take a bite. I feel full. Weird. I haven't eaten all day. Then, I realize. I can't eat. I'm too depressed to eat. I sigh and look at the rest of them. Everyone is slowly eating, forcing food down. Except for Jerome. Looks like he can't eat either.

"Hey Jerome. Can I talk to you?" I ask him.

We walk to the kitchen. Then, I begin to speak.

"You're not alone.." I whisper.

Then, he cries, covering his face with his hands. I give him a hug. I start to cry too. Why does this need to happen? We stand there for a long time. Then, we hear the kitchen door open. We don't bother to look. I hear Sadie, Emily, and Joseph. Then, we all gather for a warming group hug. We all pull away.

"Thanks guys." Me and Jerome say.

I wipe my tears away. I smile at Jerome. Then, we walk into the living room. We sit around silent for a little while. I walk to my room. I close the door and check the time on my phone. 9 PM. I look at my lock screen picture. It's a picture of me and Mitch driving in his car. We both wear sunglasses and pose for a picture. I smile. Then, the door opens.

"Hey." Jerome says.

"Hi." I say back.

"Do you mind if I crash in your room? I just need someone to be with at the moment." He says, looking at the ground.

I nod and he smiles. He sets his pillow and blanket on the huge bean bag on the floor. I walk to the bathroom and get in the shower. After, I change into Mitch's shirt and a pair of sweat pants. It still smells like him. I walk out and see Jerome looking around. He turns around. I see tears dripping down his face. I walk up to him and give him a hug, tearing up myself. I pull away and look at him.

"Do you think he's going to wake up?" Jerome whispers.

"Of course. With the help of hope. And the big guy up there." I say looking up.

Then, we link hands and send a prayer.

"Heavenly Father, please help us. We stand here today, in honour of Mitchell Hughes. Please restore him to full health. It's all that we ask for. Please have mercy for us. Amen." Jerome says.

"Amen." I repeat.

We look at each other and smile. Then, I hop into bed. I look at the ceiling for 2 hours. I can't sleep. I'm too depressed to sleep. I wonder if Jerome can sleep.

"Jerome?" I whisper.

"In the flesh." He replies.

"Can't sleep either huh?" I say.

"Yeah.." Jerome says.

I look back at the ceiling. I close my eyes and wonder if Mitch will ever wake up.. No. I can't think like that. Heavenly Father WILL help us. He will try his best and Mitch WILL wake up and be back to normal. He will be back to the way I fell in love with him. Or better. Then, I fall asleep, slowly but surely. With my heart full of hope.

Hey my chickens nigglets! I hope you like chapter 23! Jays on my feet, jays on my feet! LMFAO JK. A/N will be shorter today. But yes! More drama now adding some of my friends! Jeromeeee he's so devastated 😭😭. Anyway thanks for the reads and votes! See you later!

Much luv,

-Kelly xoxo