Prologue

Four summers ago I heard a little boy's voice.

"Hi there," it said. It startled me so terribly that I slipped off the low wooden dock and dropped into the calm waves below. I tried my best to keep my legs apart but they kept rubbing together and forming the scales that I hated so much. 

Resurfacing, I came face to face with a boy about my age. He sat down and swung his bare feet into the water in order to come face to face with me while I held myself up with my arms on the wet wood. His teeth were lined with braces and when he smiled his upper lip would curl over the wires and brackets.

"Uh," I began but he wouldn't stop talking.

"I'm Al! Well, actually my name is Alfred but I go by Al," he stopped and stared at me until I realized it was my turn to say something.

"I'm Ryan," I had muttered. His eyes, if possible, got wider and they bore into me with wonder.

"Why are you in the water? Can you come out? How do you ever swim in water that deep?" he asked.

No. I can't get out now until I'm completely dry.

I had decided to ignore most of his questions. "I don't want to right now," I respond and then offer him a smile. He grinned down at me.

"Ryan? How old are you? I'm twelve."

This kid was going to drown me in questions.

"I'm eleven, I think," I had answered (I was wrong. I learned I was twelve). Age doesn't really matter to merfolk and our birthdays are never celebrated but I've kept track of my age for as long as I could think. I even gave myself a birthday; August eighth.

I decided it was my turn to ask questions. "Why are you here?"

He looked confused and then pointed behind him. "My mom and dad are fishing. They said I could play down here until the sun sets and then I have to go back."

I look at the horizon and see the sky painting itself from pale blue to cream.

"Maybe you should go now," I suggest. I really didn't want to Turn with him here. It'd be too much explaining and he'd probably tell everyone, whether they believed him or not.

He tilted his head to the side. "Why? It's not dark enough yet."

I held back a groan. I just wanted to dry off and go home. The itchy and wet feeling in my legs was spreading.

"I need to go," I said. He looked terribly sad and sighed.

"Bye, Ryan," he said while standing and scampering off towards a couple holding two rods.

I swam away from him that day and just thought that he was some random kid that happened to speak to me.

But I never did manage to forget that oblivious grin.