Fight or Flight

I was 8 when I was first asked about "Fight or Flight".

I didn't understand the question so I said "Flight of course!"

The person who asked me this laughed in my face and walked away.

A few years after that it was said that they were shot dead fleeing from their gang fight.

I was 12 when I was asked about "Fight or Flight" again.

My parents have just gotten divorced so I said "Flight. Nothing is worth fighting for."

The person who asked me this called me emo and shoved me into a locker.

I was told that they were hit by a car when they ran away from their sister being kidnapped.

I was 17 when I was asked about "Fight or Flight" once more.

My boyfriend had just given me my 10th black eye so I said "Flight. Because fighting only makes it worse."

The person who asked me this called me an attention whore and spit in my face.

Somebody said that her crush rejected her so she cut herself and bled out in her bathtub.

I was 25 when you asked me about "Fight or Flight" for the last time.

We had been dating for 3 whole years, I loved you, so I said "Fight. Because as long as I am with you, nothing can hurt me."

The person who asked me about this immediately got down on one knee and asked me to marry him.

I heard they got married, fought the cancer that overtook their daughters body, fought to keep hope that their son would come back from the war, and fought death until they could die together in the same hospital room.